Canon Patent Application: Eye Control Focus Calibration Improvements

The R3's Eye Control does not work for me. I still love the camera, but wish this feature worked. Don't purchase the camera IF that feature is your main reason for doing so. I wear glasses and that has got to affect the performance of the IR beam. I also had RK surgery (radial keratotomy) on my eyes years ago, so even if I remove my glasses it's unable to calibrate. I suspect the scars on my cornea from the operation are causing the light to scatter or reflect enough that it can't lock on. ??? It could be a very helpful feature if they can get it to work better and over a wider range of users.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
An old style rubber cup that completely seals around the eye would help with consistent pupil size, the only light would be from the EVF.
I think it's not a great solution for everyone because for example with wildlife we won't see an animal for a while and thin it could appear for less than a minute... I don't think anyone will keep their eye in the eyecup because they'll want both eyes to search for the next subject. I could be wrong - it's just my thinking.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0