Nikon officially announces the Nikkor Z 35mm f/1.4 at $599

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Today Nikon announced the release of the NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.4, a wide-angle prime lens that is compatible with Z mount full-frame/FX format mirrorless cameras. This fast, versatile lens offers a natural angle of view, popular among street and portrait photographers, with the creative freedom provided by a bright maximum aperture of f/1.4–all at an

See full article...

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
What's Canon offering for 1k more
The Canon lens is an L lens, therefore the quality should be consistent with their premium/professional line. The Nikon lens is not an S lens, therefore the quality will likely not be up to the level of their premium/professional line.

But I'm guessing you knew that before you asked the question. If getting a cheap lens is all that matters to you, I presume you're already using the 7artisans 35/1.4 that costs under $200.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Typical. People bitch and complain that Canon doesn't offer a 35/1.4. Then when they do, people bitch and complain that Nikon offers a cheaper, non-professional version. I wonder if those people also go on Nikon forums and bitch and complain that Nikon doesn't offer a cheaper FF UWA zoom like the 15-30, or lenses like the RF 100-400, 600/11 and 800/11. I'm guessing no.

Upvote 0
From where do you have the Information about the "better image quality" ? :)
Read better. He said 'hopefully' so why would you think there are comparative data? Having said that, given that the Canon is a professional series lens and the Nikon is not, it's a very reasonable expectation. Time will tell.

RF 35 1.4 L VCM is the worst RF L Prime I tested so far.
That could mean you haven't tested many lenses, that your testing is poor, or that you have a bad copy of one or more lenses.

Objectively, looking at the MTFs, the RF 35/1.4 is clearly optically better than the RF 50/1.2, for example. The RF 35/1.4L is also significantly better than the RF 35/1.8.

Upvote 0
That could mean you haven't tested many lenses, that your testing is poor, or that you have a bad copy of one or more lenses.
A bit off topic, but I believe that a ‘bad copy’ should not be deemed an acceptable excuse. If Canon’s quality assurance has permitted the sale of a lens, then it is only fair to subject it to testing. Quality invariably exists on a spectrum, but I see no justification for rating products based on the best possible copy, rather than the one a customer might receive in reality.

Not everyone possesses the time or the ability to thoroughly test every lens they purchase. Moreover, in certain countries, returning an item once bought is not a straightforward process. But, that’s just my perspective.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Read better. He said 'hopefully' so why would you think there are comparative data? Having said that, given that the Canon is a professional series lens and the Nikon is not, it's a very reasonable expectation. Time will tell.

Objectively, looking at the MTFs, the RF 35/1.4 is clearly optically better than the RF 50/1.2, for example. The RF 35/1.4L is also significantly better than the RF 35/1.8.

An MFT Chart doesn't say anything about the overall Optical Quality of a Lens, it says something about it's sharpness, thats one part nothing more.

I test Lenses and Cameras for a Living. Have to be over 200 Lenses so far. But what do I know. :LOL:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
A bit off topic, but I believe that a ‘bad copy’ should not be deemed an acceptable excuse. If Canon’s quality assurance has permitted the sale of a lens, then it is only fair to subject it to testing. Quality invariably exists on a spectrum, but I see no justification for rating products based on the best possible copy, rather than the one a customer might receive in reality.

Not everyone possesses the time or the ability to thoroughly test every lens they purchase. Moreover, in certain countries, returning an item once bought is not a straightforward process. But, that’s just my perspective.

I really doubt that mine is a Bad Copy since I got it from Canon Germany itself, it's a press sample that was tested by Canon before.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I agree that ratings should not be based on the best possible copy. But that just highlights the fact that basing decisions on reviewers who test one copy of a lens is not wise. Since that's almost all reviewers, the only viable approach is effectively a meta-analysis of multiple reviews for a particular lens. The one exception to that is when LensRentals runs optical bench testing on ~10 copies of a given lens and reports those data.

Agreed. Personally, I do have the time and ability to properly test a new lens, and I do so with every one that I purchase. That's how I choose to deal with the problem of reviews based on one copy – I evaluate the one copy that is shipped to me, since that's really the only one that matters.

All of the Canon lenses I have bought have met my expectations for image quality. I did get a poor copy of a Rokinon 14/2.8 that I exchanged for a better one. But that doesn't mean bad copies don't exist. Even in places where a return is not feasible, Canon provides a warranty and the lens can be sent for evaluation and service. As an example of that, Bryan at TDP ended up testing 4 copies of the EF 24-70/2.8L II, because the first two had unexpectedly poor performance at one end of the zoom range or the other.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
An MFT Chart doesn't say anything about the overall Optical Quality of a Lens, it says something about it's sharpness, thats one part nothing more.

I test Lenses and Cameras for a Living. Have to be over 200 Lenses so far. But what do I know. :LOL:

Can you provide a link to your web site por favor? (A PM is fine) It'd be nice to see results and testing methodology.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well, sharpness and contrast. But I get your point.

I don't know what you know. Personally, I've tested only about 50 lenses (all Canon save two).

But if you've tested a range of Canon RF primes and are saying that the 35/1.4L is the worst, I question your judgement. Perhaps you can clarify what other RF L primes you have tested. [Apologies, I missed the 'L' in your original post. Ignoring the supertele L primes and the dual fisheye, there are only the 35L, 50L, 85Ls, 100L, and 135L. So I suppose it's at least feasible that the 35L is the worst of the bunch, except for the macro lens it's also the cheapest of the bunch. But being the worst of a set of really excellent lenses doesn't mean it's a bad lens, and your initial implication that the Nikon 35/1.4 is better is entirely unfounded.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0