RF L lenses build

What's your thoughts regarding the material used for the RF L lenses? I don't like it. It feels cheap and not like the EF L lenses. For example the RF 100-500 is all plastic except the tripod mount. My EF 100-400 feels lika a tank when compered. All metal and very solid build.

What's your thoughts regarding the material used for the RF L lenses? I don't like it. It feels cheap and not like the EF L lenses. For example the RF 100-500 is all plastic except the tripod mount. My EF 100-400 feels lika a tank when compered. All metal and very solid build.
It’s called progress……
<sarcasm>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the EF 100-400.
But wouldn't hesitate one second to buy the RF 100-500, convinced it is as well built as the EF. Plastics used by Canon are very high quality ones, and absorb impacts better than aluminium. Aluminium gets bent or dented irreversably, not so high grade plastics. And Canon are known for excellent build quality!
As I wrote in another post, I once had to take a sledge hammer to destroy an old Makita battery charger...Aluminium would have been crushed after one light hit!
If you want the 100-500, buy it, you won't regret!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
My 100-500L doesn't have any chipped paint or coatings after almost 4 years of use (August 2020), all 100-400L II lenses I have used showed a lot of chip marks at the raised edges.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's mostly the finish I don't like. I prefer the finish that was on the black L lenses. It felt more durable. I have both the EF 24-70mm F2.8L II and the RF 24-70 F2.8L IS USM. :)
I really like the finish on my EF180L, but I would very much like a modern version that uses the same materials as the RF100-500L, I strongly believe it would make that lens a lot lighter.
And contrary to the 100-400L, no chips on the lens yet, also 4 years of use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The finish on the new RF lenses are solid plastic. No paint. So it obvious that there want be any paint chips. I've only had my RF lenses for a year. But when I look at RF lenses that are used in Camera store fron desks they look like shit. Maybe all the people touching the lenses has dirty hands beacause the look horrible.

Upvote 0
The finish on the new RF lenses are solid plastic. No paint. So it obvious that there want be any paint chips. I've only had my RF lenses for a year. But when I look at RF lenses that are used in Camera store fron desks they look like shit. Maybe all the people touching the lenses has dirty hands beacause the look horrible.
Same here. When new and shiny? No problem. Hit past 60? Well, looks like.... :cry: Just wish people would understand that it doesn't bother my picture quality. :p

Upvote 0
Can you give some examples of problems you've had with your RF L lenses?

Personally, I'm happy they are lighter than older counterparts, produce better IQ, AF as good or better, and still look good after considerable use over the past 4.5 years. (But I also have a 12 year old Sigma 180mm f/2.8 IS macro lens, several standard Canon lenses just as old, and a 35mm f/1.4L II. I use them quite a bit, and my daughter has been using the standards.)

I fully expect my RF lenses to look good and function as long the EF, but only time will tell.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
They don't feel the same, but I stupidly dropped an RF 85 1.2 L and only a minor scuff to the black plastic my B+W clear filter broke. Canon's glass was perfectly fine. I feel sure from similar drops others have had with EF L lenses that the outcome would not be so good. Also, I believe the plastic has a superior strength to density ratio making the lenses lighter.

Upvote 0
I do believe the plastic will catch dirt, oil, and so on easier, but you can clean it!

Upvote 0
I don't mind the build quality of the RF lenses and have no issues with the build. Personally I don't mind the plastic on the outside of the lens because they are more comfortable to use in colder weather (e.g. they do not act like. heat sink).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0