Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
That scenario could happen as well. The release MSRP of the R5 Mk2 might provide some insights into the pricing of the R1. If the R5 Mk2 MSRP is 10% greater than the original R5 than maybe we should anticipate the R1 costing 10% more than the 1Dx Mk3?
And another 10% more in Europe...:mad:
Edit: It won't be so easy to honestly justify a 10% raise for the R1, no mirror, no shutter. But companies are so inventive...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
And another 10% more in Europe...:mad:
Edit: It won't be so easy to honestly justify a 10% raise for the R1, no mirror, no shutter. But companies are so inventive...
I'm expecting the R1 at €8000 and the R5 at €5000, I'm very glad not to be the target market for the R1 :)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Crop sensors have mediocre IQ, low light performance and dynamic range.

When you crop an image from a full frame sensor, they also have mediocre IQ, low light performance, & dynamic range.

The advantages of a FF sensor only apply when the entire sensor is used.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Not the first time a 1 Series camera didn't have matched fast card slots. The 1DX2 had a CFast slot and a plain CF slot.

More of the 1-Series cameras have had dissimilar media cards slots than have had twin media card slots of the same type. Only the 1D X, 1D C, and 1D X Mark III had twin card slots (CF, CF, and CFExpress, respectively). The rest either only had one card slot (1D, 1Ds) or two dissimilar slots (1D II, 1D IIn, 1D III, 1D IV, 1Ds II, 1Ds III, 1D X II).

Upvote 0
Bandwidth between sensor and the DIGIC chip and processing speed of the DIGIC processing chip likely are limiting factors.

120 fps @ 30 MP 14-bit/pixel ~= 50 Gbits/second.

You can slice that data-rate however you want -- 120 fps @ 30 MP or 60 fps @ 60 MP or 40 fps @ 90 MP, and so on. For a sports/photojournalism focused camera I can see them choosing a lower MP and higher fps.

Note that Thunderbolt 4 maxes out at 40 Gbits/second, so 120 fps @ 30 MP is already higher bandwidth than that. 120 fps @ 60 MP or so might not be realistic.

We all want the 100 MP @ 1000 fps camera, but it is about as unrealistic as asking for the 20-2000mm f/2.8 lens.
Who "needs" 120 fps? Show me the professional photographer or agency advocating for 120fps? Our agency shoots stills and broadcast video. No one needs 120fps for stills.

Upvote 0
Who "needs" 120 fps? Show me the professional photographer or agency advocating for 120fps? Our agency shoots stills and broadcast video. No one needs 120fps for stills.
When I shot college baseball, I was often asked to get ball on bat photos for specific players. 120 fps + pre-shooting makes that trivial. Find the one photo I need from the 100 frame sequence, and delete the rest.

Upvote 0
Bandwidth between sensor and the DIGIC chip and processing speed of the DIGIC processing chip likely are limiting factors.

120 fps @ 30 MP 14-bit/pixel ~= 50 Gbits/second.

You can slice that data-rate however you want -- 120 fps @ 30 MP or 60 fps @ 60 MP or 40 fps @ 90 MP, and so on. For a sports/photojournalism focused camera I can see them choosing a lower MP and higher fps.

Note that Thunderbolt 4 maxes out at 40 Gbits/second, so 120 fps @ 30 MP is already higher bandwidth than that. 120 fps @ 60 MP or so might not be realistic.

We all want the 100 MP @ 1000 fps camera, but it is about as unrealistic as asking for the 20-2000mm f/2.8 lens.
And not one professional needs or wants 120fps. 15fps in skilled hands is just fine. 30fps is just spray and pray. Nikon with their ver. 5 Z9 firmware, seperated video vs still menus. And, the Z9 is just amazing big learning curve but what an amazing tool. For Giggles, some still staff, shot video with the Z9 and it was stunning. That being said, no still sports or PJ needs 120fps.... shoot video for heaven's sake.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
And not one professional needs or wants 120fps. 15fps in skilled hands is just fine. 30fps is just spray and pray. Nikon with their ver. 5 Z9 firmware, seperated video vs still menus. And, the Z9 is just amazing big learning curve but what an amazing tool. For Giggles, some still staff, shot video with the Z9 and it was stunning. That being said, no still sports or PJ needs 120fps.... shoot video for heaven's sake.
It's so good that we have someone on CR who speaks for every professional without exception.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AUGS

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 13, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Why is Canon scared to let the user decide? Make it 50 MP and let us make the file size, based on our needs.
A little hypocritical, perhaps?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Only point I disagree with is that they believe their software is great. It’s a virtual certainty that they’ve got design and product folks in house who know DPP isn’t very good. But the higher up product folks know they don’t “need” to make it better. If I were a shareholder I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with the business decision, but as an end user I just thinking “if something is worth doing right…”

And as a guy who leads a software design team, if they don’t have a team who think DPP needs an overhaul, they need to hire better folks.

Part of the issue that affects the lack of attention to DPP is that in Japanese culture hardware designers and engineers are top of the heap. Software designers are seen as only a half step, if that, above menial workers.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
People put different meaning in 'image quality', but many aspects of image quality can be measured. Noise, resolution, sharpness, blown highlights...

On the other hand, some of the most important aspects of a photograph are not so easy to measure: the emotional response it will invoke in each viewer, the story it tells, the historical significance of the event it documents and how well it communicates that, etc...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
And how many people with big whites do you see at the baseline of any NFL, NBL, soccer, kricket, rugby, etc. stadium each weekend...?
I'd guess those are a few more than your 100 people each year.
Just my 2 ct.

Many of whom are no longer getting directly (or even indirectly) paid to be there. Many of those folks are well-heeled enthusiasts with connections to one or the other of the teams who are more than happy to let folks with enough money to buy their own equipment and are somewhat competent with using that gear shoot uncompensated for them. The club gets rights to the use the photos as they wish. The shooter spends less on gear than a seat license and renting a luxury suite for the season costs, and they get to be on the sideline as long as they can behave themselves.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Always wished Canon would put some secret sauce in there.... But it never happened.

I can get subtle color variations out of DPP that I can't get out of any other raw conversion product. Maybe I just know how to use it better than I know how to use the others? But for me, the Canon software allows finer control of the gradations between "0" and "1".

For example: The exposure sliders move in 1/6 stop increments when you click to either side of the marker. But the box to the right of the slider lets me punch in numbers in 0.01 stop increments. +0.17 is slightly too dark and +0.33 is slightly too bright? No problem. I can enter +0.23, +0.24, +0.25, +0.26, +0.27, +0.28, etc. until it's exactly where I want it. It's the same with almost all of the settings.

Upvote 0