Canon has registered a new wireless microphone and receiver for EOS RF

For sure the MKE440 is a better sound quality microphone especially for catching ambient sound and it indeed has noticeably better dynamic range and lower noise levels. But I have a number of videos where I forgot to turn it on. The convenience is such that I haven't really used the MKE440 since I got the DM-E1D.
Then why isn't Canon capable of releasing a Hotshoe Shotgun mic on par with the audio quality of the MKE440 or the Rode VideoMic Pro+ ?

We can all agree that having a MKE440-grade mic from Canon on the hotshoe would be better, right?

It should be possible for Canon to release a class-leading hotshoe mic so you don't have to make so many compromises. The Sony ECM-B1M gives you the convenience of a hotshoe mic AND amazing audio quality.
I think the R5 having the old shoe really killed the market motivation for third party mics and other accessories that could utilize the multi-function shoe.
Do you think there is a chance of new hotshoe shotgun mics from Canon with better audio quality?

Attachments

• Sony ECM-B1M Shotgun mic.PNG
    Sony ECM-B1M Shotgun mic.PNG
    194.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Indeed, it would have been great if de DM-E1D, while decent for various purposes, would have been a better sound quality microphone from the start. I'm still wondering if Canon might release a update or alternative model at some point. Although I think it also shows here that Canon's key expertise isn't sound recording whereas for a company like Sennheiser it is. Sony probably also has an edge there as next to camera's it's off-course also a big producer of audio equipment.

Also in this light I'm curious to see how a wireless receiver from Canon will stack up against the competition.

Upvote 0
I was interested in something like this for my A7C, but alas it was too expensive. The ability to change the shape of the pickup is a great feature IMO. Especially when filming your own family, so that dad using the camera also has a nice sounding voice, and does not sound like Obi Wan speaking to Luke during his trench run in A new hope. For sure there are possibilities for Canon to expand their mic offerings.

1719584083115.png

Upvote 0
As an Electrical Engineer, I can tell you that the correct terminology is \"Radiation Pattern\". Every antenna gives off radiation regardless if it is transmitting or receiving. To know how much radiation an antenna gives off and in what directions said pattern exists, one calculates the radiation pattern and depicts it in 3 dimensional space as seen in the 3 images. The fact that all antennas give off radiation is why cell phone manufacturers recommend cell phones be at least 1 inch from your body because Radiation can cause cancer.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
any word on if canon will allow DJI to make a multi function hot shoe adapter for the DJI Mic 2 system like Sony did?

...or is this canon's answer to that?
DJI has been close with Sony for a while.
I do not necessarily expect them to make one for Canon.
When Sony had atrocious IBIS, DJI sold a lot of gimbals.
Also, Sony having light cameras and lenses made gimbals easier for DJI.
The 35 VCM is Canon's first gimbal-friendly L lens.

Upvote 0
I think the R5 having the old shoe really killed the market motivation for third party mics and other accessories that could utilize the multi-function shoe.
I'd appreciate to hear your thoughts on this! I know there is the Canon DM-E1D but its audio quality is horrible (bad signal-to-noise ratio, only up to 10kHz, ...) compared to other mics like the RØDE VideoMic Pro+ or even the hotshoe mic from Sony (ECM-B1M).

So do you think there is a chance of new hotshoe shotgun mics from Canon with better audio quality now that this wireless mic will be released?

Attachments

• Sony ECM-B1M Shotgun mic.PNG
    Sony ECM-B1M Shotgun mic.PNG
    194.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0