Canon RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM Z to be announced this week

No. I don't even want to talk about it anymore. :mad:
Can someone explain all the passion for an ultra fast 35mm lens? 35mm is a great FL for walk around, but 1 a stop difference when the existing lens has IS makes for very few additional use cases. 35 is also good for portraits, but usually for portraits in context (i.e. background included) and up close portraits at 35mm result in fat noses so f/1.2 makes no sense there either. A fast 35 could be useful for Astro, but 24 or 14 is usually preferred. This 24-105 f/2.8 is a whole new animal and likely and immensely useful one for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't understand all the passion for an ultra fast 35mm lens. 35mm is a great FL for walk around, but 1 a stop difference when the existing lens has IS makes for very few additional use cases. 35 is also good for portraits, but usually for portraits in context (i.e. background included) and up close portraits at 35mm result in fat noses so f/1.2 makes no sense there either. A fast 35 could be useful for Astro, but 24 or 14 is usually preferred.
For some, it might be about getting another stop for low light or bokeh, but the difference from the f/1.8 isn't just about the size of the aperture. It's about aberration control and overall rendering, as well as weather sealing and a control ring. These are all reasons to want an L lens, which is partly what people want, obviously in addition to MOAR BOKEH. Personally I would be fine with f/1.4 but I want the improved optical quality that cannot be quantified with the focal ratio number, as well as weather sealing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Really exceptional news (y)
But owning the EF24-70 2.8, the RF24-105 4.0 as well as the RF28-70 2.0 it's hard to argue with my wife :ROFLMAO:
With “Happy wife, happy life” in mind, I have to skip this beauty, even it will break the internet :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Can someone explain all the passion for an ultra fast 35mm lens? 35mm is a great FL for walk around, but 1 a stop difference when the existing lens has IS makes for very few additional use cases. 35 is also good for portraits, but usually for portraits in context (i.e. background included) and up close portraits at 35mm result in fat noses so f/1.2 makes no sense there either. A fast 35 could be useful for Astro, but 24 or 14 is usually preferred. This 24-105 f/2.8 is a whole new animal and likely and immensely useful one for a lot of people.
There are use cases - for me, I often take photos at bday parties or rehearsals where my daughter is a guest / participant. Usually the venues have terrible lightning and cramped spaces. The 50/85 1.2 are great in terms of light collection ability but often too narrow. 35mm would be a more versatile fl.

Yes there is a cheaper 1.8 with IS. There are also cheaper 50 and 85 lenses, but I still prefer the 1.2 L's because they have a better rendering to my eyes.

And I want the new 35 to be the best 35 Canon has released yet, 1.2 for dark environments, with the same crispiness as the 50 and 85 1.2

These are my reasons, and they are the only criteria that matter to me. They may not matter to others but I couldn't care less

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0