Canon USA to launch new Cinema EOS camera on June 5, 2024 at 3PM EDT

It might not be as likely this time(*), but as I remember, the R5 got its first official mention (or was it the second mention?) from Canon at a big Cinema EOS online event like this. It was as a "bonus teaser" to what was coming in Canon's other camera-line.

(*) Last time the R5 8K video rumour had been rolling for some time. R5II haven't had a similar video-related "signature rumour".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It might not be as likely this time(*), but as I remember,
But I remember more clearly now. The first official mention of the R5 was a "development announcement" of an 8K capable R5. Then followed by a number of teasers, where I think the one at the Cinema EOS was the first.
But since we haven't had at least a pre-announcement of the R5II, I guess it is VERY unlikely to hear anything about it...

Upvote 0
I’ve done a comparison to my c70.
So it is slightly larger than c70 but not as large as c300 iii. Sensor looks the same size but without those corner things c70 has.
Really interesting. Was hoping to see a c70 style camera with R3 sensor that is polished like the R5c sensor was.
_J1A7145 copy.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So it is slightly larger than c70 but not as large as c300 iii. Sensor looks the same size but without those corner things c70 has.
Really interesting. Was hoping to see a c70 style camera with R3 sensor that is polished like the R5c sensor was.
View attachment 217062
I think think the addition of the microphone opening may make this a C50 or C90. I would genuinely like to see a cinema-centric small body for gimbal work.

Upvote 0
I think think the addition of the microphone opening may make this a C50 or C90. I would genuinely like to see a cinema-centric small body for gimbal work.
c 70 has also microphone opening at a similar spot, you can se it on the opposite side also. This does seam larger than c70 regarding body size. Also this camera does not have the the corner masks on the sensor like c70 has, this could mean either a slightly larger sensor or maybe IBIS which would be cool to have for run and gun work. Really looking forward to se what will it be. Hope its not much larger than c70.

Upvote 0
View attachment 217062

It's not clear in your picture, but comparing 2 product shots (C70 vs new camera) shows that the new camera has a FF sensor (in the overlayed image, C70's sensor is green, new camera's is blue)

1717149393994.png

This is confirmed when we overlay the R5. The new camera's sensor looks to be FF and slightly shorter than the R5's sensor. So 16:9 FF sensor? EDIT: checking again and making a more precise overlay - the sensors look to be of the same dimensions, so it is a 3:2 sensor. I am now curious if this will be a sneak peak of the R5ii or R1 sensors.

1717150185275.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It's not clear in your picture, but comparing 2 product shots (C70 vs new camera) shows that the new camera has a FF sensor (in the overlayed image, C70's sensor is green, new camera's is blue)

View attachment 217064

This is confirmed when we overlay the R5. The new camera's sensor looks to be FF and slightly shorter than the R5's sensor. So 16:9 FF sensor? EDIT: checking again and making a more precise overlay - the sensors look to be of the same dimensions, so it is a 3:2 sensor. I am now curious if this will be a sneak peak of the R5ii or R1 sensors.

View attachment 217066
Nice catch. Now I am excited. This would suggest a full frame sensor with open gate capabilities and user installable mounts in a moderately small box type camera. This is what I think Canon has been missing. We will see if they are going upscale with a C700 II or we’re getting a replacement for the C70/R5c/C500.

Upvote 0

View attachment 217064

View attachment 217066
you are right, I forgot to remove the ND so the sensor looks larger on my c70 image...ok this is definitely an FF camera

Upvote 0

View attachment 217064

View attachment 217066
What was your basis for making this overlay? If you use the mount like ”tomislavmoze” did In his example we have two radically different theorized dimensions and camera form factors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At this point I’m ready to be blown away. 18-20 stops of usable dynamic range. I’ve seen enough patents with ridiculous claims of 21 stops of dynamic range, and super low rolling shutter, and even global shutter. I’m tired of incremental updates. My wallet say no. Want my money Canon? Wow me. Nuff said!

Upvote 0
I would happy with the DR of c70 in a FF sensor so I can use my RF L glass with it. Also 6K would be perfect that is a sweet spot for most of us regarding video work. There is so little that I miss regarding c70. It is great for run and gun, documentary and small advertising sets. And you can do a lot with it just by yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0