Canon USA to launch new Cinema EOS camera on June 5, 2024 at 3PM EDT

You can see the classic Canon cinema camera dial on the side in the bottom right of the lightened image that I've overlayed with the C300 mkiii. It definitely appears to be box style, either switching the C70 to that format (or doing something like a C50 because of the full frame) or a new smaller C300. It takes some design cues from the C70 (the flat front around the lens mount and the lens release button), but those may be more RF specific than C70 specific.

One strike against this being a C300/500 is the fact that the current one has the full lens mount, including release button, contained within the removable front portion to better accommodate the fact that you can swap it for other mounts. Presumably they'd still want at least a hard-mounted locking PL option for higher end production use (even though you can adapt RF to PL pretty easily), and the setup of this seems less suited for that and more like the current C70.

Maybe this will be Canon's equivalent to the FX6 which the C70 was more in function and less in form.

Assuming the lens mount is horizontally centered in the body and the distance from it to the bottom of the camera is the same as the C300 then this camera would be roughly 130mm x 130mm. C300/500 is 148mm x 153mm and the FX6 is 114mm x 116mm (w x h).

Attachments

• c300comp01.jpg
    c300comp01.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 37
  • c300comp02.jpg
    c300comp02.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Is that not dual gain output (DGO)?? Canon has that in some of their bodies including the C70 after a firmware update I believe
Yes the C70 has a DGO sensor, the same sensor as in the C300mkIII (Nothing to do with firmware either, the significant firmware update was adding compressed Raw recording). The C500 doesn't have a DGO sensor so it will be interesting to see if Canon has developed a full frame DGO sensor.

Side note, there isn't a 'DGO mode' as such - you can't disable it. At 60FPS and under the cameras DGO is utilised, above this it isn't.

The R3 is not really relevant here. Canon's cinema body cameras have always had much higher dynamics range than their DSLR/mirrorless counterparts in video mode. I have the R5c and the C70 (and the C300mk3). Resolution aside, the C70 has much greater latitude even with its smaller sensor than the R5c.

Very interested to see what this new camera will be.

Upvote 0
One strike against this being a C300/500 is the fact that the current one has the full lens mount, including release button, contained within the removable front portion to better accommodate the fact that you can swap it for other mounts. Presumably they'd still want at least a hard-mounted locking PL option for higher end production use (even though you can adapt RF to PL pretty easily), and the setup of this seems less suited for that and more like the current C70.
I’m pretty sure that the lens mount will be an RF base with the ability to lock an ef or pl mount to the body using the hex screws.

Upvote 0
Here’s to hoping this is a C90 or C5003/C7002
Looks like a box. That’s long overdue.
The lens mount screws scare me a bit. But, I still have hope. From here in Pl And Lpl need to be user changeable. Both Sony and Red proved you can mount Pl ontop of a mirrorless mount. This is the way. Hoping 8k DGO or better up to 120fps. The C70 is a camera with all its firmwares that really is still incredibly capable and dare I say filmic in a way other Canons have not been. Canon you set the bar high. Wow us like that camera did.

Upvote 0