New Autofocus RF mount tilt-shift lenses expected after next round of camera announcements

I wonder if the autofocus will work on pre-2024 bodies? Either way, I don’t see any benefit of AF in a TS lens for me. I have the 17 and 24, and use is always slow-paced. I think I’ve shot handheld (shift only) with the TS-E 24 just once.

I’ll wait to see what’s offered. My personal hope is for the movements to be encoded. I’d be interested in a 14mm TS.
I agree. I have every T/S lens Canon makes for my architectural work and I have never wished for AF, not in 40 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
They need more focal lengths, not af. Especially needed is a 35mm TS. Most people use a tripod and work slow when using a tilt shift and don't need autofocus.

Autofocus on digital cameras is different with live view. Rather than needing to zoom and twiddle the focus ring, in this case I would put the focus box over what I want to focus on and press a button. Maybe that doesn't save a lot of time but it is a step forward.

Autofocus on a TS lens also allows the lens to be used hand held as a regular prime lens, without needing to change lens or camera.

Upvote 0
I'll go out on a limb and suggest that I know more about my shooting style than you. Manual focus is fast, especially with the focus aids of current cameras. Application of shift (which I use far more than tilt or the combination) is also fast. Years ago the advent of live view obviated the extra time for proper metering with lens movements. My slow pace is principally for careful framing including leveling the ballhead and because the shutter speeds are slow. The difference between a near-instant autofocus and less than a second for a careful manual focus is essentially irrelevant when shooting at blue hour with exposures of 10-30s or longer. But thanks for your precise explanation of how I take pictures.
Hi -

You're absolutely right, and I apologise.

If the sole use you have for a lens that can tilt and shift is to shoot long exposure shots at blue hour with the lens only shifted, then auto-focus is going to be of pretty much zero value to you. But I can't help but wonder - do you make a habit of posting comments on every single piece of photography equipment that gets discussed, when it has no relevance to your "shooting style"?

An example of a blue hour long exposure photo shot with lens movements where auto-focus on a TS-E lens would not have been particularly useful.

Expo2020.jpg

But if there is anyone out there who doesn't solely use these lenses for their shift capabilities, and solely when shooting at blue hour, and solely for long exposure shots, then I stand the my second and third paragraphs in my response.

Speaking as someone who has - over a period of decades - extensively used lens and camera movements for more than just long exposure blue hour shots (although I will admit that in my time, I've taken more than my fair share of those), I can absolutely assure you that those final two paragraphs of my post are completely valid.

An example of a photo taken with lens movements where having the ability to automatically set the plane of focus as described in the Canon patents would have been of significant benefit (time is money), but the lack of such functionality didn't prevent the shot from being able to be taken.

PSX_20220302_082659.jpg

Now if you excuse me, I have to dash - I've heard there is a discussion somewhere about another piece of equipment that has no relevance to me, and I need to make sure everyone knows it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
A great way to shoot butterflies was with a 90mm TS-E and a 2x teleconvertor or a closeup lens. You can get the entire wing in focus even at fully-open, and perfect once you stop down to f/16 or what have you.
Thanks for this.

I’ve been following the discussion because I’d really like to know what people use TS lenses for. Mostly it seems to be architecture (which makes sense, but I don’t shoot buildings) and the “toy” effect (which would be fun to play with, but I think the novelty would wear off quickly). So I concluded this lens wasn’t for me.

Then you posted this and it’s very relevant because I just took a macro of a butterfly the other day and the head and leading edge of one wing were tack-sharp and the rest of him/her was soft. Suddenly a TS lens makes perfect sense….

Reactions: 1 users
But I can't help but wonder - do you make a habit of posting comments on every single piece of photography equipment that gets discussed, when it has no relevance to your "shooting style"?
I make a habit of commenting on things that interest me. Given that I own and use two TS lenses, new versions are of interest. Autofocus in such lenses doesn’t really interest me (or others here, evidently), but other potential developments (wider AoV, encoded movements) are of interest. Thus my comments to that effect.

Do you understand the difference between a piece of photography equipment and the specific features of that equipment? In an analogous example, I have no use for the aperture ring on the 24-105/2.8…but it’s an excellent lens and I use mine frequently.

But I can't help but wonder - do you make a habit of posting comments that make you look like a jerk? Don’t trip and fall on your face as you dash off.

Upvote 0
I make a habit of commenting on things that interest me.
So it seems - I've just taken a look at your profile and I note that you're well on your way to making 2^15 posts here. Congratulations.
But I can't help but wonder - do you make a habit of posting comments that make you look like a jerk? Don’t trip and fall on your face as you dash off.
I've just had a look at my profile, and can report that, given this is just my 5th post here in close to a decade, no - seemingly I do not.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I still wonder whether the RF10-20/4 and keystone etc correction in post would lessen the need for wider TS-E lenses. Lighter, cheaper as well.
Would the need for accurate leveling be an issue for handheld use? Would leveling be always on the horizon or perhaps dependent on the architecture/PoV?

I am guessing that Canon will need to show why AF is advantageous for wider TS-E for people to upgrade or perhaps it is just filling a RF niche when the EF versions are discontinued (eg RF600/4 and RF800/5.6).
If the longer lens have good macro capability then perhaps they could replace the EF180/3.5 macro

Upvote 0
I don't think it's so much that we would sell it because at least some museums with the tripod rule will say you can bring an easel. As I understand copyright law, you can sell a drawing or painting of another's artwork provided there is some acknowledgement, but even publicly sharing a photo for free can be a problem.

They want people to come to museums and buy their books. It is important to support them, especially some places don't provide much or maybe any tax money for museums.
I watched the ABC Australia show "Stuff the British Stole" on the Parthenon Sculptures (Ep1, series 2). Series shows the complicated arguments for/against objects in the UK that came from other countries

One part of it was the use of handheld 3D scanners of the marbles in the British Museum for the purpose of recreating the marbles ie accurate copy in marble for the Brits to keep (or even restore with colours etc) and the original ones go back to their spiritual home in Greece. 3D scanning was not against the British Museum's rules... of course, the Brits declined the offer but the marbles were made anyway.

Free with login setup but not sure if access outside of Australia is possible.
https://iview.abc.net.au/video/DO2207H001S00

Upvote 0
New RF mount Tilt-Shift lenses have been rumored for quite some time, and one of the big features coming is that they will be the first tilt-shift lenses that we know of to have autofocus. We have seen a series of patents for these lenses, and in the last six months or so, they have

See full article...

if all these patents make it into the camera(s) and TS lenses - it will be absolutely bonkers and ground breaking.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
...Autofocus in such lenses doesn’t really interest me (or others here, evidently), but other potential developments (wider AoV, encoded movements) are of interest. Thus my comments to that effect.

Do you understand the difference between a piece of photography equipment and the specific features of that equipment? In an analogous example, I have no use for the aperture ring on the 24-105/2.8…but it’s an excellent lens and I use mine frequently.

... quite a revealing post here;) (particularly the third paragraph [bold and italics added by yours truly]), although perhaps not in the way it was intended. (Hit click to expand to see the third paragraph.)

I visit CR daily because it is generally fun and I often learn something about photography and technology.

But I occasionally take a break from CR when the tenor of the forum posts gets toxic--toxicity reduces the fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0