Nikon officially announces the Nikkor Z 35mm f/1.4 at $599

I do not just test Canon Lenses, I can also compare to SONY and SIGMA pretty well. The RF 35mm 1.4 is small, it's sharp and it has no breathing. Thats everything positive to say about this lens.
Once I saw that correction profile for the RF 35 VCM in C1 I was almost sure that your test results for that lens wouldn’t be very good.
Honestly when it comes to lens tests David / Davision is one of the best sources of information (at least in Germany). And his words already make me want to cancel my pre-order on this lens and just keep my good old EF lens until Canon makes an RF version that really earns the L in its name.

Upvote 0
Once I saw that correction profile for the RF 35 VCM in C1 I was almost sure that your test results for that lens wouldn’t be very good.
Honestly when it comes to lens tests David / Davision is one of the best sources of information (at least in Germany). And his words already make me want to cancel my pre-order on this lens and just keep my good old EF lens until Canon makes an RF version that really earns the L in its name.
I am also keeping my Tamron SP 35 1.4 I guess. Too happy with it. But let's wait for more reviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Actually for the Canon lens mentionen in my quoted post. How the Tamron fares I know by years of shooting with it ;)
On what body are you using the Tamron? I have been thinking about either getting the RF35L to replace my STM version or getting a fast 35 to use alongside it, and the Tamron 35 1.4 might fit the bill. Would appreciate any inpug you would be willing to share :D

Upvote 0
Hi David,
I’m in your corner and await your review.
I watched pretty much all your RF lens reviews recently. I understand your checks, don’t agree with your digital distortion correction aversion (only relevant for raw video workflows) but like that you’re more recently (eg rf10-20) a bit more softening on it.
Only thing is your sharpness test setup with real world photo of Jena is pretty much at infinity and can be affected by haze (partially mitigated as you almost always compare to another lens). Other reviewers look at test chart photos and only capture performance from 0.5 to a couple of meters. That can be a source of discrepancy. Also you’re not using a high res body, eg RF10-20 has around 1px CA, doesn’t show on the R6mk2 (if you believe optical limits)
I’ve bought the RF35mm 1.4L today. And watched your video @davision. You should do a follow up comparing it to the RF 35mm 1.8. What bothers me is the defocus CA. Too much green in the background lights distract. It’s supposed to be my light alternative to the 28-70 F2. It might do that job, but should be a significant lift vs the 35 1.8mm

Upvote 0
Having preordered the RF 35mm 1.4 the naysayer in this thread had me in a panic and 2nd guessing. I already own, use and love Sigma’s 28mm & 40mm Art lenses which are outstanding. I’m also on my 2nd copy of the RF 35mm 1.8 and have never been happy with its performance (sent the first one back thinking it was just me)… ADDITIONALLY I am a Nikon shooter as well (long story) so when their 1.4 got announced it made me want to cancel my preorder and wait out the reviews (I’ve also been considering the Tamron so I can adapt to both systems)… Just as I’m in the process of canceling my credit card payment on B&H goes through and the lens shipped later that day

My take aways:
-sharp sharp sharp with beautiful bokeh
-amazing form factor, feels great on camera
-why the hell would I or anybody else care about “flaws” like vignette or distortion that are purposely left because of the new technology that corrects them?
-the aperture ring seems gimmicky
-the 35mm 1.8 is already en route to KEH
-don’t believe the hype. This lens is wunderbar

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Having preordered the RF 35mm 1.4 the naysayer in this thread had me in a panic and 2nd guessing. I already own, use and love Sigma’s 28mm & 40mm Art lenses which are outstanding. I’m also on my 2nd copy of the RF 35mm 1.8 and have never been happy with its performance (sent the first one back thinking it was just me)… ADDITIONALLY I am a Nikon shooter as well (long story) so when their 1.4 got announced it made me want to cancel my preorder and wait out the reviews (I’ve also been considering the Tamron so I can adapt to both systems)… Just as I’m in the process of canceling my credit card payment on B&H goes through and the lens shipped later that day

My take aways:
-sharp sharp sharp with beautiful bokeh
-amazing form factor, feels great on camera
-why the hell would I or anybody else care about “flaws” like vignette or distortion that are purposely left because of the new technology that corrects them?
-the aperture ring seems gimmicky
-the 35mm 1.8 is already en route to KEH
-don’t believe the hype. This lens is wunderbar
I have done 100 shots on the RF35 1.4L.
- Bokeh is better than the non L primes I had, but still is busy
- the only flaw I care about is the defocus CA - some magenta in the foreground, green in the background, which is annoyingly visible

In consequence the images don’t feel magic like they do on the 28-70.

Upvote 0