Opinion: Rumors and Websites

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
I originally did this article on CanonNews but talking to Craig about the latest R1 stuff, and whatnot, it seemed like a good idea to update it and redraft it to be more modern. I’m going to keep the initial paragraph the way it was because I think it sets the tone. My thoughts on this were a long time ago, but as time marches on, some things just stay the same. Doing some reading I ran across this podcast, even though it’s mostly surrounding the Sony release of the A6400, they talked a bit about the vitriol that occurred when

See full article...

I’m always amazed at how upset some people get that, “rumors” aren’t spot on prognostications. Even when rated as just idle gossip for conversation some folks get upset about being lied too. One individual at another forum who shall remain nameless seems to go on a semi-annual rant complaining about “rumors” and those who “believe” them. Seems to me it’s based in a fundamental misunderstanding of what this website is all about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I’m always amazed at how upset some people get that, “rumors” aren’t spot on prognostications. Even when rated as just idle gossip for conversation some folks get upset about being lied too. One individual at another forum who shall remain nameless seems to go on a semi-annual rant complaining about “rumors” and those who “believe” them. Seems to me it’s based in a fundamental misunderstanding of what this website is all about. ‍♂️

I partake in a rumors community in another industry that I enjoy, and not once have I been upset when something didn't come to fruition. Most of the time, I was never going to or could afford to buy said product anyway.

Years ago, I remember rumors about a car, and then they went away. Then another car was announced. When they did a documentary about the announced car, they confirmed the original rumor, but that they had changed course. In the end, what they ended up doing instead was a monumental success. I probably got more enjoyment out of that than anyone else. :)

I did finally buy that car........ the Lego version.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
If we look at many of Canon’s RF releases, they were preceded by bombastic rumored claims about performance that, after launch day, received endless footnotes and/or corrections. The R5 and original R6 were especially bad in this regard, as the hype surrounding them was absolutely excessive. Do rumor sites play a role in this issue? Most definitely, but the leaks didn’t originate with you guys, but rather Canon themselves. And it seems like they have learned to better manage both the leaks and the hype — the latest generation of RF bodies even seems to have swung too hard in the other direction, because they’re often overlooked instead, and launched to much less expectation. Well, that and the whole legal fiasco with Yongnuo, that has definitely cooled attitudes towards Canon as well.

Will the R1 live up to the hype? Almost certainly not, but I do believe the hype management has been much better on this one, assuming the Adorama “leak” wasn’t such but an honest mistake instead.

Upvote 0
But Canon, if you are listening, I really want a 120MP full frame camera, in an R50 camera body for the price of an R100.
Please give it the body of the R10 since it has a joystick. Other than that, I´d buy four copies of this camera. So it just good business for Canon instead selling only one camera to me :) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Good article :) thx for giving a "behind-the-scene" look of a rumors site.

I´ve kind of given up hoping for the internet or Internet forums to be place for civilized conversation. It is crazy that people on YouTube can make up absolutely fake spec´d cameras and claim SoNiCon has to produce it or otherwise there will a shitstorm...

I like this forum because there mostly very pleasant people here, very few trolls (compared to other sites) and I like the articles (especially about patents as well as the deal zone). I'll admit, some articles (updates on rumored lens announcements) may seem like clickbait, but I always figure some readers are very happy and eager to hear any news, even if there is little information. Especially, if they're waiting for a particular lens (such as RF 35mm L). If I don't care about that news, I just don't comment or complain (like 70-200mm F2.8 Z) but for other lenses (like 200-800mm) I was happy for a every little bit of information.

In the end, I guess this what I wanna say: Y´all are doing a great job in a difficult environment!

Upvote 0
You are a messenger of "possibly accurate" information which is subjective to change and to be taken with a grain of salt. People try often to shoot the messenger (figuratively) when their expectations are not met. Fvck them (people).

The most important thing is: are you doing something illegal, unethical or immoral. If the answer to these questions is no, then there is no need to bother about feelings of people's expectations and the joy or sorrow or hatred generated from their own expectations.

Upvote 0
You are a messenger of "possibly accurate" information which is subjective to change and to be taken with a grain of salt. People try often to shoot the messenger (figuratively) when their expectations are not met. Fvck them (people).

The most important thing is: are you doing something illegal, unethical or immoral. If the answer to these questions is no, then there is no need to bother about feelings of people's expectations and the joy or sorrow or hatred generated from their own expectations.

That's why I can tell you what I may see, but I can never post it if the person explicitly says not to.

I had an image from a Canon R&D computer screen about upcoming products, Richard has seen it. Two of the lenses on that list never came to be.

I know for a fact an R7 C was planned, but it never came to be... and I do believe that was definitely the right call.

I will still never post the image, but that's the sort of thing I have to go on. Keep it ethical and yes, legal.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I think it has run its course. We can use words in posts to convey our feelings about the information. We live in a headline world, and that can be detrimental.
I think you underestimate the benefit of the ratings. I’ve used it in defense of this site. “Canon Rumors said…. And it didn’t happen! They lie all the time!!” Well it was rated at CR0. They were just passing along idle gossip. Sharing things they heard.

Upvote 0
That's why I can tell you what I may see, but I can never post it if the person explicitly says not to.

I had an image from a Canon R&D computer screen about upcoming products, Richard has seen it. Two of the lenses on that list never came to be.

I know for a fact an R7 C was planned, but it never came to be... and I do believe that was definitely the right call.

I will still never post the image, but that's the sort of thing I have to go on. Keep it ethical and yes, legal.

Keep up the good work. The line is always fine and blurred. So doing the right thing is very important even if it means people (some or many) being butt hurt. To which again fvck them.

Upvote 0
Good article :) thx for giving a "behind-the-scene" look of a rumors site.

I´ve kind of given up hoping for the internet or Internet forums to be place for civilized conversation. It is crazy that people on YouTube can make up absolutely fake spec´d cameras and claim SoNiCon has to produce it or otherwise there will a shitstorm...

I like this forum because there mostly very pleasant people here, very few trolls (compared to other sites) and I like the articles (especially about patents as well as the deal zone). I'll admit, some articles (updates on rumored lens announcements) may seem like clickbait, but I always figure some readers are very happy and eager to hear any news, even if there is little information. Especially, if they're waiting for a particular lens (such as RF 35mm L). If I don't care about that news, I just don't comment or complain (like 70-200mm F2.8 Z) but for other lenses (like 200-800mm) I was happy for a every little bit of information.

In the end, I guess this what I wanna say: Y´all are doing a great job in a difficult environment!
our mods are the unsung heroes!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The tone of your articles is always “Here’s what MIGHT be coming…and here’s WHY we think so”. To me, the “grain of salt” is plainly implied. But rationality and logic often don’t work on the internet.

Given that I am happy with my R5 as it is and the lenses I have, for me this is all idle curiosity, but I find it amusing to watch people passionately argue about things that may or may not even exist. I fully expect that when the facts about the R1 and R5II are finally known, forums will be FULL of people admitting they were wrong and apologizing. (Just in case you need these: /S /S /S).

Upvote 0