Ricoh launches Pentax 17 half-frame fixed lens film camera

Probably in 1959 or so, I worked part-time at a camera store and they let me borrow display cameras sometimes. I remember going out with my girl friend and my best friend and his girlfriend. I took a newly released camera, I believe it was an Olympus Pen, which was a half-frame camera. I still have at least one picure of my friend and his girl (of the day) in one of my photo albums. It was a neat pocket sized camera. This sounds much the same.

Upvote 0
I like the design of the camera, but this is a swing and a miss for me. The maximum shutter speed is 1/350 is just not good enough. The camera's reliance on the automatic control and preset focus doesn't attract me at all. And $500! No thanks. One day my AE-1 and New F-1 will kick the bucket...but these work incredibly well to this day after 40+ years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I like it and I actually might buy it. It has some nice details, showing that Pentax put some thought into it (e.g. the "Food" distance scale, perfect for millenial / Gen Z food pictures). Of course it is a bit expensive, but it is a new camera with warranty - and that is also worth some money. Buying an older analog camera with circuitry (say Contax G1) always comes with the risk of it turning into a paperweight over night, with pretty much no chance to repair it.

I would guess that this is not the camera for people how already have their Nikon F3, EOS 1, K1000 etc. from years gone by but rather for newcomers to the analog hobby who don`t want to buy used.

Upvote 0
While I like half-frame cameras in general (I own and sometimes use two old Pen FTs with a couple lenses) I really don't understand this one.

It is pretty bare-bones for the extremely steep price they want and I can't imagine many people that want to try out film will go with it over a used film camera that can be bought for 1/10th of the cost including a 50mm lens or any lomo-plastic-abomination.

Upvote 0