Rumored RF lens roadmap update

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The next announcements from Canon will be a slew of lenses. We had reports of an announcement coming in late September, and that has obviously passed without anything being announced. We are very confident that a lot of new lenses will be announced between now and March 2024, but we’re still waiting for any solid

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
This will be built off of the EF-M version, which was one of our favourite EF-M lenses.
Is there a reliable source for this? I had the impression it was mostly guessing that a wideangle zoom would be "a conversion" of the EF-M lens?
Personally I'm waiting for a wideangle zoom to replace EF-S 10-18mm or 10-22mm. In other words, something that goes down to at least 10mm (75% of the photos I shoot with my wideangle zoom are shot at 10mm). Preferable wider (it should be "easy" to make with the shorter flangedistance of R-mount).
Also hoping for some R mount replacement for the EF-S 15-85mm. Again at least 15mm wide in the short end.

Sigh, doesn't sound like I should expect anything like those any time soon :-/

An "RF-S super-telezoom" sounds interesting though. Do they really mean super-telezoom?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Still waiting for the Canon RF-S 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM. I’d have thought this would have been announced in Sep 23. There is no suitable light RF-S wide angle lens around yet.

Upvote 0
Still needing those fast 1.4 primes that combine IQ, good build, portability and USM.

The current STM's are just lacking. And the L's are cumbersome for travel and hideously expensive to get in multiple focal lengths. Or mostly just missing entirely.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The RF-S, super telephoto zoom seems curious. I’m no optical designer, but I’ve always heard that, beyond about 200 mm or so, there is not much of a size or weight savings from the 1.6 CF image circle.

Being a crop user, I like the RF-S 11-18 rumor.

The 200-500 f/4L also sounds interesting, depending on its price. probably won’t be $3K because that’s where the current 100-500 is, but $10K is a nonstarter for me.

• Wow
Upvote 0
The RF-S, super telephoto zoom seems curious. I’m no optical designer, but I’ve always heard that, beyond about 200 mm or so, there is not much of a size or weight savings from the 1.6 CF image circle.

I am mostly happy with the RF100-400 on my R6 and R10, which is comparatively light already and very versatile for what I use it for.
Honestly though, I cannot say what specs a long APS-C tele would have to have that would make it attractive to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0