New Autofocus RF mount tilt-shift lenses expected after next round of camera announcements

Sorry, but I don't consider 45 megapixels cropped to suffice as a replacement for left+right or top+bottom TS shiftstitching.
Fair enough, why not post some back to back images to demonstrate your point?

I suspect your feelings are genuine, but if you actually look at your shift-stitch image vs. the options I gave, you may find your shift image to be second best. I did precisely such tests before dumping my 24TS and 90TS 20 years ago. Both were frankly horrible resolution in the shifted reason, the bokeh was useless, and the vignetting was problematic.

Upvote 0
I suspect your feelings are genuine, but if you actually look at your shift-stitch image vs. the options I gave, you may find your shift image to be second best. I did precisely such tests before dumping my 24TS and 90TS 20 years ago. Both were frankly horrible resolution in the shifted reason, the bokeh was useless, and the vignetting was problematic.

20 years ago the software tools for working in post with panoramic merges were extremely undercooked compared to what is available today. The jury is somewhat unconvinced by your testimony here today, especially by the lack of material evidence presented to back up your claim.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Given the price of the 10-20 it might be quicker but not cheaper. Anyway depends on the level of details of the subject, the amount of correction, and how large the image will be displayed.
The current price of the TS-E 17mm is slightly cheaper than the RF10-20 on B&H today but the TS-E17mmm was released in 2009 at USD2500.

Would anyone imagine that a RF updated version of the TS-E with auto focus (including going wider to 14mm) will be cheaper? Canon may surprise us all but I think that it is improbable

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm at a loss why anyone would use shift in the modern era, but tilt is absolutely irreplaceable.
Just to pick up on this, probably not for much longer.

All you need to replace tilt is a depth-map and focus stack of the scene or a light field camera. Ignoring the latter (which existed years ago, but of course were not of particularly great quality), phone cameras and their computational photography have the ability to replace tilt lenses today.

Upvote 0
Fair enough, why not post some back to back images to demonstrate your point?

You're the one claiming that stitching TS images is pointless, because equal quality can be achieved by simply cropping very wide angle images. So it's you that should post examples that will prove this, because it goes against any common sense.

A left to right stitched TS image is about 14 thousand pixels on the wider side.

A single shot from R5 is 8,2 thousand pixels on the wider side.

Not sure what bokeh is expected from wide angle f4 or f3.5 lenses that are designed for architecture and maximum depth of field. Wide angle TS lenses are the last place I'd go looking for bokeh. With automatic lens correction profiles I see zero issues with vignetting. I mean, hopefully you are using these lenses stopped down to at least f8.

Upvote 0
The current price of the TS-E 17mm is slightly cheaper than the RF10-20 on B&H today but the TS-E17mmm was released in 2009 at USD2500.

Would anyone imagine that a RF updated version of the TS-E with auto focus (including going wider to 14mm) will be cheaper? Canon may surprise us all but I think that it is improbable

Considering general high price for RF L glass, it's not improbable but almost certain that these new lenses will be very expensive. I'll be very surprised if the launch price is below $3.000.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Considering general high price for RF L glass, it's not improbable but almost certain that these new lenses will be very expensive. I'll be very surprised if the launch price is below $3.000.
The "normal" Nikkor TS 19mm costs $3400. Canon's TS 14mm will certainly cost more, due to AF etc...
I expect a price starting with a "4"...

Upvote 0
not that niche, any TS is a macro lens with a 250D or 500D, Canon's double-lens closeup lenses. They screw in like filters and your "infinity focus" is 25 or 50cm. And the autofocus is coming to. So your joke is just about the aperture basically!
Exactly about the aperture and mostly for Roby to enjoy.

I didn't try the ts-e 50 macro with close-up lenses, but I did with extension tubes and I wasn't satisfied with the image quality of the results.as it's famous that at macro distances the tilt becomes less, I was pleased that it was enough to be noticeable on a small spider's legs.

I'm outside my home country for a while, but assuming the rf tilt shifts Aren't announced, I'll have to see if the 90 and 135 aren't better in that range when I return.

Upvote 0
The "normal" Nikkor TS 19mm costs $3400. Canon's TS 14mm will certainly cost more, due to AF etc...
I expect a price starting with a "4"...
I think that's way too pesimisstic. It would make the lens the most expensive RF lens in the whole lineup, besides the super-tele big white lenses and by a long shot.

I think something between 3,000 and 3,500 is probably more realistic.

Upvote 0
I think that's way too pesimisstic. It would make the lens the most expensive RF lens in the whole lineup, besides the super-tele big white lenses and by a long shot.

I hope you're right! It will depend on the complexity of the added features.
The RF 1,4/35 vs. Ef 1,4/35 pricing shows in your direction...
Could be I was indeed too pessimistic.

Upvote 0
I must add that, for a long time, Leica Ms were my main cameras. And a Leica M on a tripod kind of contradicts the M concept.
And my mostly used tele lens, after I got my first Leicaflex, was the fast-focusing 560mm Telyt with the 1,4X Apo extender, 800mm total focal length. It came with a shoulder grip. Thus it had to be handheld. That's how I entirely stopped using tripods.
I'm curious about using such a long lens with a Leica M. I know parallax might not be noticeable, but did you have any trouble focusing?

• Wow
Upvote 0

If it’s 14mm with AF, that will be a very unique offering and a $4K price (give or take a bit) would not surprise me. Happy to be surprised with a lower price, though.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm curious about using such a long lens with a Leica M. I know parallax might not be noticeable, but did you have any trouble focusing?
1: There exists or existed a reflex housing which was mounted on the bayonet of bthe Leica M, turning it into a DSLR.
2: This so-called Visoflex was a prosthesis, slow to use and not very practical.
3: I used my 800mm (560 + 1,4X Ext.) exclusively on my Leicaflexes, Leica Rs and even on the EOS 5 DIII, so only on real DSLRs.
Focusing an 800mm on a rangefinder camera? Not a single chance to get one picture in focus!

• Haha
Upvote 0
At other times, I am asked to take a portrait/family shot with my "big camera" and I say that the phone is the best for
Ahh managed to get this quote working on my mobile.

This is so funny, last year (2023) during a sunny day we compared a family shot, one on some mobile and another my R7 with 0.71x (I was playing around with it) and the EF70-300L. The phone only had a benefit on the fact it was shared instantly via WhatsApp (which reduced its quality even more). Then my image followed an hr later and was like comparing 8k to 300px thumbnail.

Went A bit off topic sorry, but I have the TS24 finally, not put it through its paces yet. Just be careful people when using your equipment especially on tripods or solo, in London just last week I heard of a gang swipe some “big camera & white lens” on a motor bike with its tripod along the A13. Mobile phones are no less a target too, ridiculous crime rates around Oxford Circus.

Upvote 0
Then my image followed an hr later and was like comparing 8k to 300px thumbnail.

Sometimes a 300px shot is better than 0px (not getting it.)

Went A bit off topic sorry, but I have the TS24 finally, not put it through its paces yet. Just be careful people when using your equipment especially on tripods or solo, in London just last week I heard of a gang swipe some “big camera & white lens” on a motor bike with its Tripodi along the A13. Mobile phones are no less a target too, ridiculous crime rates around Oxford Circus.

White lenses stand out way too much and they are known to be valuable. Using them in city hot spots is like waving a flag saying you're rich. In cities and other crowded places, using a 4/3rds camera is much more discrete and thus safer.

Some mobile phones (such as Apple) are not preferred because they can be black listed by Apple, I believe. All telcos have the ability to block stolen mobile phones from operating on the network but none do.

Upvote 0