Sigma officially launches the RF 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN Contemporary

Sigma doesn't need to change their naming scheme, they just have to replace almost every 'RF' mention with 'RF-S'.
RF-S isn't a mount type. It's Canon's designation for crop-only RF lenses, just like DC is Sigma's designation. It might be trademarked by Canon as well.

This isn't the same as EF versus EF-S, which were different lens mounts (EF-S lens wouldn't physically fit onto a full frame EF camera without modification). And, as I recall, none of the third parties who made crop EF DSLR lenses (including Sigma) called them EF-S. But attentive buyers knew.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I already own the Canon 18-150 so I'm much more interested in the 10-18 than in the 18-50.

B&H has the RF-S 10-18mm listed as $199. The page says it's a $30 discount off the $329 retail price, which should be $299, so there's a typo somewhere! I put it in my cart to check and it was still listed as $199!

If that doesn't work, Canon has refurbished copies on sale, also for $199.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
B&H has the RF-S 10-18mm listed as $199. The page says it's a $30 discount off the $329 retail price, which should be $299, so there's a typo somewhere! I put it in my cart to check and it was still listed as $199!

If that doesn't work, Canon has refurbished copies on sale, also for $199.

Pretty sure @Bob Howland was referring to the Sigma 10-18mm f/2.8, not the Canon 10-18mm f/variable&slow.

Upvote 0
Exactly!

And, I don't see how the "RF-S might be trade-marked" argument can be true, either. After all, Sigma is calling the lens RF... So RF-S is trade-marked, but RF isn't??
No, per the press release, Sigma is calling it the "SIGMA 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN |Contemporary for the Canon RF Mount System."

The CR headline calls it the "RF 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN Contemporary", but that's not from Sigma.

Upvote 0
I think all Sigma mirrorless lenses are internally focusing just like most newer Sony, Panasonic, Olympus/OM System, and Fujifilm lenses. The external focusing of so many of the RF lenses was a shock when I switched to Canon.
Does make the lenses a lot smaller though when they are not in use. Especially on the half macros, since the focus group has to be moved so far between infinity focus and MFD. Having that distance covered by the lens' chassis would make it very significantly longer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Does make the lenses a lot smaller though when they are not in use. Especially on the half macros, since the focus group has to be moved so far between infinity focus and MFD. Having that distance covered by the lens' chassis would make it very significantly longer.
Or, in Canons case, make the lenses have massive focus breathing. The 100mm macros become a lot shorter in focallength at MFD.

Upvote 0