Official announcement of the Canon EOS R1 is now expected in July

Agree. The 200-800mm is clearly a "me too" product that Canon took a long time to introduce. In hindsight the delay was likely due to the transition to mirrorless and also a desire to avoid simply copying the Sony offering
The 200-800 couldn't have existed before mirrorless. Autofocus at such narrow apertures (especially with extenders added) was not possible on their DSLRs.

Upvote 0
But 50mp v 24mp. I would take the 45-50 over 24 any time any speed
What about the speeds that 45-50MP can't attain but 24MP can. Compare the speeds of the R7 and R6-2 using both mechanical and electronic shutters: R7: Mechanical-15FPS, Electronic-30FPS; R6-2: Mechanical-12FPS, Electronic-40FPS. 30MP * 30FPS = 900 million pixels/second, 24MP * 40FPS = 960 Mp/s. (The R6-2 using an electronic shutter is faster than the R3.) 45MP at 960 Mp/sec is 21.3 FPS.

I'm assuming that the R7 is mechanically faster because its sensor is physically smaller meaning the shutter has less distance to move while the R6-2 is faster electronically because its sensor has fewer pixels. Obviously, the problem can be easily but expensively fixed by using a faster sensor and image processing chain.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What about the speeds that 45-50MP can't attain but 24MP can. Compare the speeds of the R7 and R6-2 using both mechanical and electronic shutters: R7: Mechanical-15FPS, Electronic-30FPS; R6-2: Mechanical-12FPS, Electronic-40FPS. 30MP * 30FPS = 900 million pixels/second, 24MP * 40FPS = 960 Mp/s. (The R6-2 using an electronic shutter is faster than the R3.) 45MP at 960 Mp/sec is 21.3 FPS.

I'm assuming that the R7 is mechanically faster because its sensor is physically smaller meaning the shutter has less distance to move while the R6-2 is faster electronically because its sensor has fewer pixels. Obviously, the problem can be easily but expensively fixed by using a faster sensor and image processing chain.
I agree it depemds on the speed of sensor and of the chipset. I makes sense all those cameras have similar throughput since they all have the DIGIC X inside.

But what I am saying, is that for me, considering the ways I shoot, going beyond a certain speed is meaningless to me. And that speed is below 10 FPS for me. I will take higher resolution any time though.

Upvote 0
When Canon releases the R5 II they will probably discontinue the R5.
The R6 was still available for some time after the R6ii was released. It wasn't clear to me if this was just excess stock at retailers or Canon in-country but I imagine that they would run stocks down prior to the release of a new model anyway.
I expect the R5 to still be available for some time to come. It will provide an interesting market segmentation given I don't expect the price to rise from the current USD2900.

The 5Div is still available for sale in US, Japan and Australia (at least) 4 years after the R5. If Canon wanted to push hard to mirrorless then discontinuing it was make sense. The 1DXiii will be on sale for a long time after the R1 is released though.

Upvote 0
Agree. The 200-800mm is clearly a "me too" product that Canon took a long time to introduce. In hindsight the delay was likely due to the transition to mirrorless and also a desire to avoid simply copying the Sony offering (Nikon's entry in the category was rather weak in that it simply expanded the wide end by an insignificant 20mm!).
So... a "me too" product that you dismiss and yet there are many others just wanting Canon to release a similar item to something in Sonikon land.

Still the only 4x zoom that goes to 800mm so not quite "me too". Canon mostly adds something new to their RF lenses. Something to be appreciated I think.

No doubt that there will still be wishful thinking for a 50/1.4 and wide/fast primes sometime in the future though.

Upvote 0
I agree it depemds on the speed of sensor and of the chipset. I makes sense all those cameras have similar throughput since they all have the DIGIC X inside.

But what I am saying, is that for me, considering the ways I shoot, going beyond a certain speed is meaningless to me. And that speed is below 10 FPS for me. I will take higher resolution any time though.
Canon has said that Digic X is a family of processors and not a single processor
I fully expect that the R5ii will have a faster throughput than the R5.
In any case, it would seem unlikely that Canon will use the same 4 year old processor in the R1/R5ii.

Sensor reuse has been more common but stacked sensors are expected now to reduce rolling shutter.
Nikon's "partially stacked" marketing term is fascination though... they need to show "stacked" but not prepared to pay for fully stacked.

Upvote 0
Which is why you are not the target market and your preference for a higher MP R1 is irrelevant.
Your opinion of his preference is irrelevant. In what world is any person's preference for anything irrelevant? It's like saying your preference for sunny skies over rainy skies is irrelevant when it's raining. Snotty is as snotty does.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Your opinion of his preference is irrelevant. In what world is any person's preference for anything irrelevant? It's like saying your preference for sunny skies over rainy skies is irrelevant when it's raining. Snotty is as snotty does.
Uff. He is saying saying that your preference regarding R1 is irrelevant because you are not the target customer. He is not saying all your preferences are irrelevant. Deep breaths.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
No offense, but my preference for sunny skies when it is raining IS IRRELEVANT.

And, in the real world, many of our preferences are irrelevant, to anyone other than ourselves. In retrospect, knowing how many forum dwellers are not really looking for the real meaning of a comment and are just are trying to annoy or prove how clever they are, I should have said "irrelevant to Canon, and to anyone in the target market for the R1."

Upvote 0
You are on the wrong thread.
Who are you then, the thread police?
No, someone said that higher mp count mean lower speed, which, while true in general given the same technology level, may not be relevant to all customers that would still be interested in a 1-class body. Like me. Who has bought and extensively used a 1D X in the past, and loved almost everything about it, except for the pixel count.
I have simply pointed out that the Sony A1 and the Nikon Z9/8 show how you can attain more than reasonable speeds while keeping a 45+ mp count.

Upvote 0
Mine came with a.social media influencer to help me up my vapid game.
That will be $2000 USD per day plus expenses as my daily DJ/FOH fee and YOU will be buyng ALL my many cases of shiny gold bottle Ace of Spades Champagne AND Asbach Uralt German Brandy to get this camera party started!

I do it all! I do DJ and FOH for Hip Hop, Disco, Funk, Elvis Rock n Roll and even Nickelback, so to get this Canon R1 party STARTED do da funcky bunch arm and leg stimm wave and chug shooters from cups made out of old f/4 nifty fifty lenses while we chant CANON IS DOOOOOOOOOOOMED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OVER AND OVER AGAIN at the top of our lungs.

P.S. Remember to bring ur parachute pants cuz you can't touch this when it comes to fighting for our right to partaaaaay like it's 1999!

R1? 24 Megapixels???--- OMG! Canon is Dooooooooooooooomed !!!!!

V

Upvote 0
No, someone said that higher mp count mean lower speed, which, while true in general given the same technology level, may not be relevant to all customers that would still be interested in a 1-class body. Like me. Who has bought and extensively used a 1D X in the past, and loved almost everything about it, except for the pixel count.
I have simply pointed out that the Sony A1 and the Nikon Z9/8 show how you can attain more than reasonable speeds while keeping a 45+ mp count.
Processor speeds is a technical area i can definitely comment on since DIGIC-series processors look like they are using positively ANCIENT ARM Cortex A4 cores as their main imaging processor.

For $200 USD, Canon could use the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 series cpus that have the processing horsepower to do everything up to 60 fps DCI-8K resolution video and 64 megapixel stills imaging at 16 bits per RGB colour channel aka Ultra High Dynamic Range colour. And that single processor can handle all the camera and lens control at the same time as the video/stills processing and file compression with NO PROBLEM at all! Canon is just being CHEAP by using 2 or 4 of the $15 cpus instead of ONE high-powered $200 super-chip to do all the work!

Canon needs to simplify the camera motherboards and use only ONE powerful cpu with lots of system RAM installed and use better liquid cooling that dumps heat out to the camera base plate to fix overheating issues!

Using all those cpus is an engineering nightmare when they could have SAVED MONEY and development time by going to a single Snapdragon 855 or better chip in their higher end cameras!

V

• Wow
Upvote 0
I saw your portfolio. Very nice fashion photos. But they do not need hi fps. I still maintain that if a photographer wants high mpx and not so high fps, R1 (and this thread) is certainly not for them. (There are others who prefer hi fps and are willing to work with lower mpx.)

Upvote 0