Official announcement of the Canon EOS R1 is now expected in July

Sounds like you are using one of the
older-but-still-awesomely-good Leaf or Phase-One digital backs for a Hasselblad or Yashica medium format camera! I loved using those! CCD was quite light sensitive in those days so colour rendition was and still is quite amazing.
Indeed! Hasselblad H5X with various HC primes, mated to a H-mount PhaseOne IQ1 80.
54x40mm of CCD oldie but goldie goodness :love: 80mp of unadultered sharpness (no AA filter).
AF, speed and noise are nothing compared to modern standards, But the colors... when I get the lightning right of course. The colors are amazing.
Keep the digital back! It will last another 20 years because that many megapixels is nothing to laugh at and low light sensitivity was and still is very very good! Just use a good denoiser to get rid of the electrical noise caused by CCD imaging.

V
Sure I will ;)

Upvote 0
Heckled. I dream of being heckled. "Your camera is a hamster, and your lens smells of elderberries!"

But, the answer to your question is in your own response. 90% Canon, 10% Nikon (or whatever the numbers are). Its been like that for 2 years, so why haven't people already switched if that is really needed? Who is winning there? Who isn't keeping up? I think Canon has done far more market research to answer your question.
Well for one, a lot of people were holding out waiting to see what Canon would come out with I'm sure. It's better not to jump the gun too quickly.

To my other comment, I think it's a questions of "perception" to some degree. I think that the bread and butter of Canon's market are amateurs/hobbyists/prosumers who won't buy an R1/R3 or even an R5, but they do take a lead from what people say (in person and online) and if people say "canon's flagship is disappointing" or "canon's lost it's edge" then there's a perception that shifts buying patterns in the market. Canon dominates because the perception of them being number 1. If their flagship is sub-par compared to competitors, or lacks the perception of a competitive model when looking at specs that non-sports people might care about, then their view of the company as a leader could change.

Or that's how I see things possibly going.

Upvote 0
Boy, you need a psychiatrist.
I saw your site and for what you do, a Canon TX with ektar 100 would be enough.

Go back to your sonicueva!!!!!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ my work hangs in museums.

I think there are different markets and different needs for everyone. I know that for my larger prints (30" x 40" and 40" x 60"), I need the extra detail to complete my vision. Details are important in my work. For my photo-books, the detail of course doesn't matter, but I also hang in galleries and have my work collected so it is vital that the detail is there. As much as it's annoying, people do walk up and put their noses to your prints and it needs to hold up. At the same time the vertical grip and weather sealing/heartyness is important to me. It's ok that you don't really like or possibly understand my work, it's meant for a select audience. That's ok.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To my other comment, I think it's a questions of "perception" to some degree. I think that the bread and butter of Canon's market are amateurs/hobbyists/prosumers who won't buy an R1/R3 or even an R5, but they do take a lead from what people say (in person and online) and if people say "canon's flagship is disappointing" or "canon's lost it's edge" then there's a perception that shifts buying patterns in the market.
But a contingent of people online have been saying things like that for 10-15 years at least. Whether it's dynamic range, autofocus, resolution, lens selection.... there's always a talking point as to why Canon are "behind", and yet it has no appreciable impact on their success. So why should it this time, if that's what happens?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Well for one, a lot of people were holding out waiting to see what Canon would come out with I'm sure. It's better not to jump the gun too quickly.

To my other comment, I think it's a questions of "perception" to some degree. I think that the bread and butter of Canon's market are amateurs/hobbyists/prosumers who won't buy an R1/R3 or even an R5, but they do take a lead from what people say (in person and online) and if people say "canon's flagship is disappointing" or "canon's lost it's edge" then there's a perception that shifts buying patterns in the market. Canon dominates because the perception of them being number 1. If their flagship is sub-par compared to competitors, or lacks the perception of a competitive model when looking at specs that non-sports people might care about, then their view of the company as a leader could change.

Or that's how I see things possibly going.
First of all, you take it for granted that the R1 will be disappointing, and the internet "experts" will be disappointed.
Wouldn't it be more intelligent to wait for offiicially announced specs, and reactions, before you condemn a camera which doen't even "exist"?
PS: I just don't give a c..p what the internet or the R 100 buyers will think of the camera, the only ones who matter are the real pros. So, let's wait and see before we emit unfounded judgements.
Edit: I forgot the "e" in judgement :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
First of all, you take it for granted that the R1 will be disappointing, and the internet "experts" will be disappointed.
Wouldn't it be more intelligent to wait for offiicially announced specs, and reactions, before you condemn a camera which doen't even "exist"?
PS: I just don't give a c..p what the internet or the R 100 buyers will think of the camera, the only ones who matter are the real pros. So, let's wait and see before we emit unfounded judgments.
That makes perfect sense, but waiting does not generate clicks, which is bad for “business” for the internet/YouTube “experts”.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon dominates because the perception of them being number 1.
Really? Does Toyota sell more cars than any other maker because they’re perceived as being number one? Or could it be that they make cars with a combination of features and price that is appealing to make buyers?

Canon dominates because more people buy their cameras. While perception of their market position may play a role, it’s not the driver. Of course, if your friend shoots Canon maybe you’ll buy one, too, so being popular does help sell cameras.

Upvote 0
Really? Does Toyota sell more cars than any other maker because they’re perceived as being number one? Or could it be that they make cars with a combination of features and price that is appealing to make buyers?

Canon dominates because more people buy their cameras. While perception of their market position may play a role, it’s not the driver. Of course, if your friend shoots Canon maybe you’ll buy one, too, so being popular does help sell cameras.
LOL! This is another comment i can make some good analogies for! In terms of Toyota, based upon reviews and comments from car and truck afficionados at the famous Youtube channels TFL Trucks, Truck King, The Straight Pipes, Raiti's Rides and Doug Demuro, it seems Toyota has fallen FAAAAR from grace by becoming far too expensive for the features you get in each of its model lines. It has ridden the coat-tails of its past history of reliability by continuously raising prices and lowering the number of features compared to the competition!

Toyota has become the Canon of the car industry and now it must face the fact that competitors now offer MORE RELIABLE trucks and cars with more and more quality at a better price!

Why would i pay $65,000 for a Toyota midsize truck that barely gets off the mall parking lot (i.e. Toyota Tacoma) when for $10,000 cheaper i can get a fully equipped 4x4 overland-ready Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison Edition with meaty 35 inch off road tires and lots of interior comforts and technology AND with an engine that is now more refined and more reliable than the Toyota Tacoma's?

Changing over to Cameras, the Sony A7-4 has more megapixels, better colour rendition, more stills snd video recording features and where Sony premium lenses even EXCEED the light gathering and sharpness of Canon's offerings ... All for $1500 cheaper than Canon's offering!

Like Toyota, Canon absolutely IS RESTING on its previous laurels AND is having many of its current camera offerings being outclassed and outpriced by its competition such as Sony and Fuji!

Much like in the truck industry, where Toyota Tacoma's market share is being eaten alive slowly but surely by the newest Chevy, GMC and Ford mid-size trucks, Canon's marketshare is being eaten-up by the Sony A7-4 and A9-3 and the various Fuji camera offerings!

In fact, at the current rate of buying, Sony is on pace to become the DOMINANT camera maker by 2030!

Why? Because Sony's cameras offer a LOT of Big Bang for the Buck feature sets and awesome absolute product quality and reliability!

Canon had better watch out or it TRULY will be DOOOOOOOOOOOMED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

V

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The day a chevy engine is more reliable than a taco is the day I eat my shoe
Yup! Statistics don't lie! I will make a blanket statement that a number of mechanics trade groups AND SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) have HARD OBJECTIVE real-world statistics that say the most reliable GASOLINE engines in terms of both initial defects within the first 50,000 km (30,000 miles) of operation and long term engine maintenance and repair costs per 160,000 km (100,000 miles) of operation per every unique 100,000 in-shop repaired and maintained trucks and cars are the Honda K-series inline-4, the GM LS V8 up to 7.2 litres, Ford 2.7 litre V6 Ecoboost and Chevy Ecotec3 V8 and finally the Stellantis Pentastar V6. Toyota didn't even make the Top-5! The rest of the top ten were various Mercedes engines! Toyota made it to #12 after a Nissan inline-6!

Time to eat some shoes!

I quoted the SAE metrics since they have access to repair shops around North America and Europe indicating repair costs and recallable defects found via HARD COUNTED operational distances driven in KM per 100,000 of each brand and model of unique vehicles repaired and maintained in-shop over a period of five years which are HARD OBJECTIVE comparisons!

Changing over to cameras, Canon is DOOOOOOOMED !!!!! if they don't start offering more bang for the buck over Sony and Fuji!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to say I am consistently impressed by your ability to blend sarcasm, facts, rumors, and oddly specific technical data into coherent yet manic posts all while maintaining a consistent persona. You are definitely one of the most memorable and entertaining posters on here and I thank you for that :D.
If the above comment is directed at me, then i do must say that i am glad to be of service!

AND..... for the next most insane rumour i am privy to is that Apple is readying TWO new cameras of a very unique body design i have been shown artistic renderings of!

One camera is a full-frame DSLR-like body with a Sigma-licenced vertically-stacked RGB Foveon sensor of 64 megapixels with a Sonar and Infrared scanning sensor array that records local environments at 16 bits per RGB colour and a 16 bit depth value (aka Z channel) on every pixel in a stills and video frame used to create a 3D depth map of a local object or local environment. This gives 64-bits per pixel HDR RGB+Depth channel still photos and 64-bits RGB+Depth channel DCI-8K Resolution video at a full 60 fps and 120 fps DCI-4K video.

The body style is quite similar to the Canon Cinema EOS XC-15 video camera but with a fully interchangeable lens.

The second camera is larger and looks more like a Blackmagic Ursa cinema-style rectangular block video camera but will have a larger Medium format Foveon image sensor with MORE and longer-range 3D depth scanning sensors for larger outdoor environments scanning using RADAR, IR, LIDAR and SONAR at 64 megapixels stills at 16 bits per RGB + Depth channel and 60 fps DCI-8K resolution video and up to 240 fps DCI-4K video with FULL RAW 64-bits RGB + Depth channel recording for stills and 8k/4k video supported for ultimate image quality! There are lots of attachment mounts and rails to allow for extra accessories for the larger Apple medium format image sensor camera.

My sources say that both cameras are designed by Apple itself in California with bodies and lenses custom made by Sigma for Apple! The mount for the lenses are a locking mount similar to and/or compatible with PL cinema camera mounts with extensive lens metadata communications data lines built-into both camera bodies and all lenses! Both cameras will be using removable fast SATA SSD hard drives as their recording medium!

Canon SHOULD be quaking in their boots at the coming onslaught of upcoming Apple cinema production quality stills and video camera products oriented towards AR/VR production and 3D-XYZ depth scanning for real world objects and large 3D environments which will ALSO be used for their upcoming plastic resin and metal powder deposition 3D printers which are possibly coming in 4th quarter 2025.

Canon Is DOOOOOOMED !!!!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0