Show your Bird Portraits

Beautiful shot, Hector1970.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The only birds from today: juvenile White-rumped Shama and an adult. The first photo of the adult is to illustrate the wind today (and I was at the bottom of a crater - kind of "preserved from the wind area". I will stop at the wind speeds in my second post!
Concerning the "second post" I would like to apologize in front: it's nothing to do with the birds! On other hand it made my day - I'm still scratching my head...

DSC_8166_DxO.jpgDSC_8222_DxO.jpgDSC_8223_DxO.jpgDSC_8232_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0
The "Second post".
At the end of the trail I just was siting to drink water and was going to put my camera in the backpack when I notice a silhouette on the sky. My thoughts were "Great Frigate bird". Since they use to make circles and changing the altitude I started following (in hope it will get closer): looking TTL it wasn't looking as a bird!!!
I decided it is junk lifted by the strong winds but continued following it. The mistake was that it took me ~1 minute to check the exposure and the initial burst (I was really curious what I see!). I was at 1/8000s speed (overexposed, my settings were for the Shama in the shade). The wind speed made that 1 minute somewhat important - I lost the distance and the detail.
Any way very strange, if someone has an idea please tell me (I know myself: I will think about these photos very long time!). Or should be me (as a first idiot :(:LOL:) starting a topic "UFO" in CR?!!
Any one who wants the NEF files - you have them!

DSC_8241_DxO.jpgDSC_8246_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I recently noticed that wood pigeons (columba palumbus) are nesting in the neighbor's walnut tree.
I now have a good view from the second floor, admittedly the large leaves shield the nest well.
But if cats, squirrels and magpies don't disturb the pigeons, I hope for better pictures in the future.
I will of course be very (!) careful and cautious.
These are the first tries, fully manual, because the AF locked on anything but the bird.
Therefore, and because of ISO6400 the quality has potential for improvement ;)

R6m2, RF100-500@500mm, f/11, 1/60, ISO6400

pidgeon_w_2024_01.JPGpidgeon_w_2024_02.JPGpidgeon_w_2024_03.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Any way very strange, if someone has an idea please tell me (I know myself: I will think about these photos very long time!). Or should be me (as a first idiot :(:LOL:) starting a topic "UFO" in CR?!!
Hmm, it looks really strange, indeed.
Some considerations:
  • in-camera thing/problem, e.g. rolling shutter
  • if this is the real shape and no in-camera thing, then
  • some kind of kite or drone
  • the shape reminds me of a pterosaurus, so maybe some avionic experiment; or "Jurassic Park" is not just a movie ;)
Otherwise I have no idea.

But I like the idea of a UFO or X-Files thread, don't you, Agent Scully? :cool::p

Upvote 0
Hmm, it looks really strange, indeed.
Some considerations:
  • in-camera thing/problem, e.g. rolling shutter
  • if this is the real shape and no in-camera thing, then
  • some kind of kite or drone
  • the shape reminds me of a pterosaurus, so maybe some avionic experiment; or "Jurassic Park" is not just a movie ;)
Otherwise I have no idea.

But I like the idea of a UFO or X-Files thread, don't you, Agent Scully? :cool::p
It flew from East to West (from right to left on the photos) well above the rim of the Crater and slowly gaining an altitude. For balloon or kite or just a junk it's flight was pretty steady - no change in the direction, no rolling or tilting. Relatively slow speed and my camera was on tripod: no conditions for rolling shutter. Drone is the most probable but why that ridiculous form (it looks like made to intentionally confuse the observers).
I like the idea of pterosaurus but you would expect it to come from North - North-west were the Kualoa ranch is located (Jurassic Park was filmed there, only 19.59mi/31.53km from my position) :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I recently noticed that wood pigeons (columba palumbus) are nesting in the neighbor's walnut tree.
I now have a good view from the second floor, admittedly the large leaves shield the nest well.
But if cats, squirrels and magpies don't disturb the pigeons, I hope for better pictures in the future.
I will of course be very (!) careful and cautious.
These are the first tries, fully manual, because the AF locked on anything but the bird.
Therefore, and because of ISO6400 the quality has potential for improvement ;)

R6m2, RF100-500@500mm, f/11, 1/60, ISO6400

View attachment 217637View attachment 217638View attachment 217639
Spot focus should work.

Upvote 0
The "Second post".
At the end of the trail I just was siting to drink water and was going to put my camera in the backpack when I notice a silhouette on the sky. My thoughts were "Great Frigate bird". Since they use to make circles and changing the altitude I started following (in hope it will get closer): looking TTL it wasn't looking as a bird!!!
I decided it is junk lifted by the strong winds but continued following it. The mistake was that it took me ~1 minute to check the exposure and the initial burst (I was really curious what I see!). I was at 1/8000s speed (overexposed, my settings were for the Shama in the shade). The wind speed made that 1 minute somewhat important - I lost the distance and the detail.

View attachment 217635View attachment 217636
At first, I thought it looks like a black "lightning bolt" someone might draw on a comicbook.

Looking closer, I decided to believe it's an inflatable pool toy but someone decided to use helium.

That is what I will believe so I don't have nightmares about ufo abductions tonight...

Edit:

I decided to do a web search and found our answer!

Not even a pool toy, but a legitimate balloon. Than the lord - no ufo attack!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
At first, I thought it looks like a black "lightning bolt" someone might draw on a comicbook.

Looking closer, I decided to believe it's an inflatable pool toy but someone decided to use helium.

That is what I will believe so I don't have nightmares about ufo abductions tonight...

Edit:

I decided to do a web search and found our answer!

Not even a pool toy, but a legitimate balloon. Than the lord - no ufo attack!
Thanks Eric!!! All the day I was thinking what a hell it was :LOL::rolleyes:!
Honestly I was excluding balloons because they usually have much more erratic flight. This thing was not rotating and very little tilt when I looked at the series of photos. My opinion was tilting to "drone" (but who will make a drone with that ridiculous, nonsense form - except if the purpose is to confuse the observers?!).
45inches size also makes a sense!
Thanks again!
Edit: next time if I see something strange I will ask you :D (don't worry - it happens extremely rare!)!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The "Second post".

View attachment 217635View attachment 217636
If the Flash and the invisible woman had a child.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It really didn't! I've tried more than a minute. After that, I wasn't willing to disturb the bird any longer.
Something similar happened to me a while ago when I was shooting a bird in a tree maybe 5 meters away with the R6 and RF100-400. AF absolutely would not find focus under any circumstances, eye AF, single point, spot, no dice. Felt a bit like when I used to mess up the AF limiter setting on my old EF100-400 MkI.

Could have been an issue with the DPAF and the orientation of the mostly nude branches, although your picture looks very different from that.

I have not encountered any such issues ever since, so I am still unsure as to what went wrong then.

Upvote 0
Messenger_creation_303e0976-06b6-4ab6-b8f4-1deabad8fd76.jpg
I can't identify this one yet...

1000045988.jpg
Nok kana lek
Little cormorant (Microcarbo niger)

Looks kinda happy?

1000045985.jpg
I can't seem to find this one's identity either.

1000045799.jpg
Oriental magpie-robin (Copsychus saularis)

1000045463.jpg

Messenger_creation_e4e11c29-05cf-4eee-a1e8-38e53e1344aa.jpg

i believe Javan pond heron (Ardeola speciosa)? Unfortunately almost too blurry with the rf100-400. Was it the lens, atmosphere, or poor technique? The other's were with the heavier ef 100-400ii.

I think that's it for birds in flight. Hopefully I can wake up early and get to a good spot before dawn tomorrow.
Thanks Eric!!! All the day I was thinking what a hell it was :LOL::rolleyes:!
Honestly I was excluding balloons because they usually have much more erratic flight. This thing was not rotating and very little tilt when I looked at the series of photos. My opinion was tilting to "drone" (but who will make a drone with that ridiculous, nonsense form - except if the purpose is to confuse the observers?!).
45inches size also makes a sense!
Thanks again!
Edit: next time if I see something strange I will ask you :D (don't worry - it happens extremely rare!)!
I used to be a big Art Bell / coast to coast am fan. If you don't know the show. He was a late night talk radio show host who talked about various paranormal topics. Unfortunately he died a few years back, but you can find some old clips on YouTube. I think coast to coast continues with a different host and being in Thailand it must start around lunch time.

Attachments

• 1000045834.jpg
    1000045834.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1000045834.jpg
    1000045834.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Something similar happened to me a while ago when I was shooting a bird in a tree maybe 5 meters away with the R6 and RF100-400. AF absolutely would not find focus under any circumstances, eye AF, single point, spot, no dice. Felt a bit like when I used to mess up the AF limiter setting on my old EF100-400 MkI.

Could have been an issue with the DPAF and the orientation of the mostly nude branches, although your picture looks very different from that.

I have not encountered any such issues ever since, so I am still unsure as to what went wrong then.
It happens to me and I quickly switch to manual. Assuming the bird doesn't decide to fly away, it's usually more successful than struggling even with R5's autofocus

Upvote 0