Show your Bird Portraits

View attachment 217655
I can't identify this one yet...

View attachment 217656
Nok kana lek
Little cormorant (Microcarbo niger)

Looks kinda happy?

View attachment 217657
I can't seem to find this one's identity either.

View attachment 217660
Oriental magpie-robin (Copsychus saularis)

View attachment 217661

View attachment 217662

i believe Javan pond heron (Ardeola speciosa)? Unfortunately almost too blurry with the rf100-400. Was it the lens, atmosphere, or poor technique? The other's were with the heavier ef 100-400ii.

I think that's it for birds in flight. Hopefully I can wake up early and get to a good spot before dawn tomorrow.

I used to be a big Art Bell / coast to coast am fan. If you don't know the show. He was a late night talk radio show host who talked about various paranormal topics. Unfortunately he died a few years back, but you can find some old clips on YouTube. I think coast to coast continues with a different host and being in Thailand it must start around lunch time.
Good to see you are now heavily into birds! What settings were you using for the BIF and have you cropped much?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Something similar happened to me a while ago when I was shooting a bird in a tree maybe 5 meters away with the R6 and RF100-400. AF absolutely would not find focus under any circumstances, eye AF, single point, spot, no dice. Felt a bit like when I used to mess up the AF limiter setting on my old EF100-400 MkI.

Could have been an issue with the DPAF and the orientation of the mostly nude branches, although your picture looks very different from that.

I have not encountered any such issues ever since, so I am still unsure as to what went wrong then.
Thanks for thinking it over.
My issue was that the Spot AF was focussing on everything around the bird, but not on the bird.
Even when I set it directly on the pigeon's eye, it preferred either one of the leaves in front or the branches the nest was made out.
So the limiter was not the issue. And it was set to "full range".
IMO the "AI" of the AF wasn't that "I" but only "A" :p ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Good to see you are now heavily into birds! What settings were you using for the BIF and have you cropped much?
I've always liked birds, but where I live, the trees are dense and tall. I think fewer large birds as well. Most photos I had to crop. I've got my best bird photo in my life Sunday.

1000046157.jpg
Nok kai yan
I couldn't find the English name yet (but I found my little yellow topped bird from before was
Streaked Weaver (Ploceus manyar)).

While searching for information, there's an amazing number of species here some with bright colors. I believe just going to a farming community won't be enough. I'll have to get deep into a jungle area and I'm trying to decide on one.

This was at Ayutthaya Elephant Palace, a popular place where you can feed and ride elephants.
There were not only these birds and eels, but also some sort of aquatic lizard which was at least one meter long (It stayed too low in the water for a good photo). Pigeons are everywhere as well. I think because humans are constantly there and the water has so many eels these birds accept us being fairly close.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Thanks for thinking it over.
My issue was that the Spot AF was focussing on everything around the bird, but not on the bird.
Even when I set it directly on the pigeon's eye, it preferred either one of the leaves in front or the branches the nest was made out.
So the limiter was not the issue. And it was set to "full range".
IMO the "AI" of the AF wasn't that "I" but only "A" :p ;)
Sometimes I thought "artificial idiocy" or it's testing us for the eventual robot uprising!

• Haha
Upvote 0
I've always liked birds, but where I live, the trees are dense and tall. I think fewer large birds as well. Most photos I had to crop. I've got my best bird photo in my life Sunday.

View attachment 217666
Nok kai yan
I couldn't find the English name yet (but I found my little yellow topped bird from before was

While searching for information, there's an amazing number of species here some with bright colors. I believe just going to a farming community won't be enough. I'll have to get deep into a jungle area and I'm trying to decide on one.

This was at Ayutthaya Elephant Palace, a popular place where you can feed and ride elephants.
There were not only these birds and eels, but also some sort of aquatic lizard which was at least one meter long (It stayed too low in the water for a good photo). Pigeons are everywhere as well. I think because humans are constantly there and the water has so many eels these birds accept us being fairly close.
The first shot you get of a heron or suchlike eating a big fish is so memorable. Congratulations!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I really like this shot. Well done, EricN.
a025.gif

Upvote 0
I really like this shot. Well done, EricN.
a025.gif
Thank you. It was quite fast. If I hadn't been waiting there watching and seen it fly over. I might have missed it. I think it was there less than a minute before it caught the eel and maybe fifteen seconds with it on the beak. Unfortunately, as soon as I stopped, it flew across the the water and I missed getting those shots except some blurred until it was across but at a poor angle.
It did give me an idea canon could d in the future:
Having the shutter button change between drive modes depending on how deep you push it. I think someone must have already thought of it, but there's a reason it's not on any camera i know of

Upvote 0

View attachment 217666
Nok kai yan

"Nok kai yan
I couldn't find the English name yet..." I think in your previous post you were right: Javan Pond Heron

Upvote 0

View attachment 217666
Nok kai yan

Gorgeous Shot Eric. Is that a catfish? If it is it may hurt going down.

Upvote 0
The "Second post".
At the end of the trail I just was siting to drink water and was going to put my camera in the backpack when I notice a silhouette on the sky. My thoughts were "Great Frigate bird". Since they use to make circles and changing the altitude I started following (in hope it will get closer): looking TTL it wasn't looking as a bird!!!
I decided it is junk lifted by the strong winds but continued following it. The mistake was that it took me ~1 minute to check the exposure and the initial burst (I was really curious what I see!). I was at 1/8000s speed (overexposed, my settings were for the Shama in the shade). The wind speed made that 1 minute somewhat important - I lost the distance and the detail.
Any way very strange, if someone has an idea please tell me (I know myself: I will think about these photos very long time!). Or should be me (as a first idiot :(:LOL:) starting a topic "UFO" in CR?!!
Any one who wants the NEF files - you have them!

View attachment 217635View attachment 217636
Zooming in, it looks inflatable, with a sealed tab on it. Here is a shot of an inflatable lightning bolt from Amazon.
1719362176656.jpeg
The Amazon item does not have the ridges like yours. Even though I have nothing to reference the size in your shot, I assume yours is larger.

I'm no expert but in your second shot, those don't look like thunder clouds.

Edit: Oops! I should have continued reading this thread. The mystery had already been solved!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I recently noticed that wood pigeons (columba palumbus) are nesting in the neighbor's walnut tree.
These are the first tries, fully manual, because the AF locked on anything but the bird.
The pigeon was now sitting in the opposite direction, some more light did also help.
And the spot AF instantly found the eye.
R6m2, RF100-500@500mm, f/8, 1/125, ISO2500

pidgeon_w_2024_04.JPGpidgeon_w_2024_05.JPGpidgeon_w_2024_06.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Zooming in, it looks inflatable, with a sealed tab on it. Here is a shot of an inflatable lightning bolt from Amazon.
View attachment 217668
The Amazon item does not have the ridges like yours. Even though I have nothing to reference the size in your shot, I assume yours is larger.

I'm no expert but in your second shot, those don't look like thunder clouds.

Edit: Oops! I should have continued reading this thread. The mystery had already been solved!
There is something wrong with that description: "After filling" it looks smaller than the "Before the inflatable" (honestly I don't understand what means "Before the inflatable", I assume hmm... lets say before the filling ;)). If you look at the bigger image it may have the reason to form that ridges after the "filling" when it becomes bigger.
Anyway: I think Eric solved the problem, now we can continue taking photos of birds without the risk to be kidnapped from " the little green things":alien:

• Haha
Upvote 0
There is something wrong with that description: "After filling" it looks smaller than the "Before the inflatable" (honestly I don't understand what means "Before the inflatable", I assume hmm... lets say before the filling ;)). If you look at the bigger image it may have the reason to form that ridges after the "filling" when it becomes bigger.
Anyway: I think Eric solved the problem, now we can continue taking photos of birds without the risk to be kidnapped from " the little green things":alien:
I think the company simply wanted to show the larger measurements to confuse some people

Upvote 0