Sigma officially launches the RF 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN Contemporary

I am trying to understand what the incentive is for OEMs to do this. It would only add cost and not necessarily improve their revenues or margins.

This is a good point. What is the benefit for cell phone manufacturers to do what they do today?

I don't see it as adding significant cost but my perception of that is they would need to test to determine capability of the camera. If Canikony wanted to have a test goal outcome, that indeed could easily add to the cost as the development cycle would be potentially longer. I say that because we don't know today if there is an internal test to evaluate weather resistance.

Upvote 0
I don't like having to infer something happens because of a marketing line.
There’s nothing to infer. They claim certain cameras and lenses are dust- and weather-resistant, and they state that they are not waterproof. All you have to do is act accordingly – minimize exposure to water, and be prepared to accept the risk of damage if you use them in bad weather.

Upvote 0
There’s nothing to infer. They claim certain cameras and lenses are dust- and weather-resistant, and they state that they are not waterproof. All you have to do is act accordingly – minimize exposure to water, and be prepared to accept the risk of damage if you use them in bad weather.

Either the camera is weather proof and can deal with being rained on or it can't.

Canon R3:
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT
0 – 40 °C, 85% or less humidity

If I take my camera outside and leave it outside as long as the environment meets the above, the R3 should not fail. Isn't that a fair interpretation?

Needing to "minimize" without quantifying that leads to interpretation that may vary.

This bullshit where they talk out the side of their mouths needs to stop. Get serious and stop with the used car salesman lines. No equivocation.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Great to see Sigma starting with RF-s lenses. The lens might be tempting, if I decide to get a R50 as a lightweight option for hiking and such.

To me, it´s kind of weird that the product images show the lens attached to the R5. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the R7/10/ 50?

Constant F2.8 aperture, 300g and weather sealing sounds great :)

From the looks of it, the only downside is that it doesn't have a control ring. Since the R50 only has one dial (if I remember correctly) this actually could be an issue for me one day...
I wondered already that Canon did not yet come up with an updated RF version of Canon's Ef-S 17-55mm. Btw I got that lens a few years after it was released, but I didn't like it: a dust pump with a lot of CA. So, Canon would really need to do a much better job when they considered an RF successor to this lens. Maybe Sigma forces them to do that, but it is definitely a welcome move by Sigma to bring that lens on the market.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wondered already that Canon did not yet come up with an updated RF version of Canon's Ef-S 17-55mm. Btw I got that lens a few years after it was released, but I didn't like it: a dust pump with a lot of CA. So, Canon would really need to do a much better job when they considered an RF successor to this lens. Maybe Sigma forces them to do that, but it is definitely a welcome move of Sigma to bring that lens on the market.
I am still hoping for a Canon version with IS.

Upvote 0
Either the camera is weather proof and can deal with being rained on or it can't.

Canon R3:
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT

If I take my camera outside and leave it outside as long as the environment meets the above, the R3 should not fail. Isn't that a fair interpretation?
You already know the answer – it’s not weatherproof, and Canon doesn’t claim that it is. In fact, they state clearly that it isn’t. Rain is 100% humidity.

It’s not proof against lightning, falling rocks or a vandal whacking it with a hammer, either. Nor is it proof against simple electronic failure.

Needing to "minimize" without quantifying that leads to interpretation that may vary.

This bullshit where they talk out the side of their mouths needs to stop. Get serious and stop with the used car salesman lines. No equivocation.
The camera is manufactured with weather sealing. It’s weather-resistant, not waterproof. There’s no bullshit.

Cars come with lots of safety features that manufacturers highlight in advertising. But they don’t guarantee that getting in an accident won’t maim of kill you.

It does seem you’re unable to deal with the situation. Life is full of uncertainty. I use my cameras and lenses in the rain, have done so without issue. I know people who have used Rebel/xxxD DSLRs with kit lenses in the rain without issue. If you require waterproofing, get yourself an underwater housing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
In the clouds where rain forms the humidity is 100%, on the ground where it falls and people stand, the humidity can be anything.
So it can be 0% RH when it's raining? Very rare for there to be rain falling with RH <85%.

Regardless, my point remains – the R3 (and other cameras with 'weather- and dust-resistant construction) are NOT waterproof, nor does Canon claim that they are. You can complain about BS and marketing claims all you want, those are the facts.

Upvote 0
So it can be 0% RH when it's raining? Very rare for there to be rain falling with RH <85%.

0% might be a stretch too far but Google tells me that RH can be as low as 60% when it rains. I will.have to observe local conditions.

What the R3 specs don't say that consumer electronics usually do say is that it is "non-condensing". I trust that is a mistake on Canon's website or that is a huge limitation (ie can't use R3 in the tropics.)

Regardless, my point remains – the R3 (and other cameras with 'weather- and dust-resistant construction) are NOT waterproof, nor does Canon claim that they are. You can complain about BS and marketing claims all you want, those are the facts

Then what is the value of Canon's claims?

Unless Canikony can quantify these statements, they should simply not say anything as the statements are about as meaningful as a politician's promise.

Upvote 0
Then what is the value of Canon's claims?

Unless Canikony can quantify these statements, they should simply not say anything as the statements are about as meaningful as a politician's promise.
This is devolving to pointlessness. I get that you want ILC makers to give an IP rating to their cameras. Most do not and likely will not, ever. They engineer the higher end models to be able to withstand the elements, and they market them as such. They do not claim they are waterproof, and offer no guarantees of such. You can choose to use them in the rain, or not. It really comes down to how much getting the shots you want matters to you. As I said, I have used a succession of 'weather-sealed' bodies and lenses in the rain. I started doing so with the 7D and 24-105/4L, and have done so ever since. That includes use in the tropics and use in hard rain. Incidentally, even though the specs say 0 - 40 °C, I have used my 1D X and R3 in temperatures well below freezing.

If you're that worried about rain, there's a solution. Granted, it costs more than the R3 itself, but you won't have to worry about a little rain or a fall into a pool.

Upvote 0
Canon R3:
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT
Yep, car manufacturers should stop with the weather resistance claims and give them an IP rating.
Used car sales people should also make sure that the second hand cars they are selling maintain that rating for at least 10 years.

Canon users know that they can operate their bodies/L lenses way past the minimum specifications that Canon publish.
If you don't think that they are good enough then get a OM-1 and feel superior.

Upvote 0