Canon Announces First Lens in Series of Fixed Focal Length RF Hybrid Lenses – RF35mm F1.4L VCM

The weird thing is that even Rudy didn’t make a comment on how many stops you get with IBIS and the new 35, worrying…
I wouldn't worry about it. Most wide angle lenses without IS benefit from IBIS. The RF 16mm F2.8 has around 5,5 stops of shake protection, the 35mm F1.8 also gained an extra 2 stops. Even the unstabilized Sigma Art 35mm F1.4 EF version was rated at around 5.5 stops using an adapter.

Upvote 0
The 35mm F1.4 sounds great:
- two focusing motors (VCM & nano USM)
- lower weight with 555 grams
- 67mm screw on filters and rear gel filters
- Aperture ring and control ring
- starting price 1.499 $

Great job Canon! Now please give us a 20mm, 24mm, 50mm and 85mm with exactly those kind of specs :)
Sounds to me like they compromised the F1.2 to accommodate videographers who have their own line of cinema gear that btw makes no compromises to accommodate still photographers needs, so why do photographers have to make concessions for videographers? Canon where’s the RF 35mm f1.2 L? #canon #rf35mmf1.2l

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
The 35mm F1.4 sounds great:
- two focusing motors (VCM & nano USM)
- lower weight with 555 grams
- 67mm screw on filters and rear gel filters
- Aperture ring and control ring
- starting price 1.499 $

Great job Canon! Now please give us a 20mm, 24mm, 50mm and 85mm with exactly those kind of specs :)
I agree. I have the RF 50mm 1.2 and Rf 85mm 1.2 and despite their great quality, I hate shooting with them because of the weight. I would gladly trade them for 1.4 L primes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Yes still photographers want an f1.2 35mm. Are you listening Canon !
I think if Canon wanted to release a f/1.2 in the near future, they would have released that one first.

They can then capture all the people who want a 35mm L prime to buy the f/1.2 for $2500 (or whatever) and then release this lower cost just-a-bit-slower lens a year or two in for more budget minded folks. That's what Sigma did with their 35 f/1.2 DG and f/1.4 DG release strategy (it was a little over 2 years apart, with the more expensive f/1.2 launching first).

Now if they release a f/1.2 next year or the following year, they will have a much harder time convincing everyone who was waiting for a RF 35L and bought this lens to upgrade a year or two in.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sounds to me like they compromised the F1.2 to accommodate videographers who have their own line of cinema gear that btw makes no compromises to accommodate still photographers needs, so why do photographers have to make concessions for videographers? Canon where’s the RF 35mm f1.2 L? #canon #rf35mmf1.2l
the RF 35mm 1.4 is sharper than the 1.4 II Ef canon version which was a great lens. 1.2 and 1.4 is not that big of a difference at 35mm.

Upvote 0
Really strange that aperture control ring can be only used for video. People would love this for photo if it would have switch for clickable aperture control.
Probably a dumb question, but here it is anyways (I'm a stills shooter not a videographer). For video, why would you want to change aperture on the lens with the camera rolling? Why risk camera shake by touching the lens? Why not rack aperture and focus from a remote control?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

What concessions? For me, the concession would be an extra 500g weight and $1000 price for the 1.2 version. I'm very happy with the smaller size and price.

Upvote 0