Canon Announces First Lens in Series of Fixed Focal Length RF Hybrid Lenses – RF35mm F1.4L VCM

As Canon stated when the RF 24-105/2.8 came out, the aperture ring won’t work for stills on pre-2024 cameras.

Question: what use would you have for a continuously variable (clickless) aperture ring for stills?

What use? Setting the aperture? Clickless or not, it's already there and it's working. Why disable it? Just a lazy decision so they don't have to update the firmware on older cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Very interesting development from Canon.

With how they've worded things, I really suspect we will eventually see an IQ focused 35 1.2 in the (near) far future, possibly when they update the 50 1.2 into a MKII version for those that just want the absolute no compromises image quality.

I do like the aperture ring, IF all the lenses in the line-up have it already, if they don't then I'd rather they leave it off. That's what I really like about the Sony kit I use for work. Every GM lens has an aperture ring that turns the same way, the zoom/focus rings are all in the same place and it makes it very easy for muscle memory to take over when you're thinking about a dozen other things when shooting. I suspect most will leave it in A and just change it via the body dials.

Also, aside from the more compact size, I am digging that price. Canon L glass comes in at roughly 15-20% more expensive that Sony in New Zealand, which can be the difference between building a 2.8 trinity kit or being able to also add a couple of 1.4 primes when purchasing several lenses. Maybe we've all just gotten accustomed to Canon's really high prices to where this is a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
What use? Setting the aperture? Clickless or not, it's already there and it's working. Why disable it? Just a lazy decision so they don't have to update the firmware on older cameras.
Plenty of ways to set aperture already, and ones that have tactile feedback and don’t require you to look at a setting value.

But yeah, it’s lame to have a hardware feature on a new lens that’s inaccessible solely for lack of a firmware update. Besides the aperture ring, I’m looking at you R5 C with a multifunction shoe and no support for the EL-5 (maybe that was fixed with the new FW update, I haven’t checked).

Upvote 0
L lens, higher build quality, and much better optically than the RF 35mm 1.8. And lower sales volume will increase the price too.
Yes, I understand that stuff, but I feel like even a fast 35 will not have a special look to the extent that It’s worth a lot of money.
Fast 50 or 85 or longer can end up having some magic which I don’t find in a 35. But I guess we shall see…

Upvote 0
Sounds to me like they compromised the F1.2 to accommodate videographers who have their own line of cinema gear that btw makes no compromises to accommodate still photographers needs, so why do photographers have to make concessions for videographers? Canon where’s the RF 35mm f1.2 L? #canon #rf35mmf1.2l
Sounds to me like they understand that many still photographers don't need or want or will never use f1.2 and would rather have a lighter cheaper lens at f1.4 which is plenty fast enough for every possible use.

Upvote 0
Not sure how I feel about the EL-10 using AA batteries. I have a ton of those for the MT, MR and EL-100, but I love how the godox v860IIC handles bursts.
Canon missed the opportunity to make a smaller unit still equipped with the LP-EL battery. That'd make the EL-10 a better compact partner to the EL-5 and 1. Of course, if one is on location (or vacation) and something went wrong with the battery pack, the AA compatibility could be a lifesaver, but how many people would find themselves in such a situation?

Upvote 0
Looks fantastic and I preordered. Love the size/weight. Been setting aperture with the back wheel for a long time and don’t think I’d use the ring even if it were an option. Mostly stills here but maybe the video features will come in handy someday.

Upvote 0
So why the lens have 2 focusing motors? The new VCM and also a secondary nano USM?
They’re controlling two separate groups, one for the floating group (nano USM) and one for the rear focusing group (VCM).

Canon has been doing that lately with just Nano USM, the lenses featuring Dual Nano USM (e.g., 100-500L, 100-300/2.8) have separate groups each with their own motor.

Next question, why VCM instead of Nano USM for one of the two motors? Canon says it used this design because it works well for both photo and video applications (from PetaPixel). I suspect it’s because a voice coil actuator can deliver more force than NanoUSM at the same speed, and the rear focus group of the RF 35/1.4 is reasonably heavy, but not heavy enough to need ring USM.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Is the new 35/1.4 weirdly cheap, or are we just accustomed to lenses that are too expensive?

It's weird for canon-ish I guess.

EF 35mm 1.4mkii is still a whopping 1999.00 at BH...it dropped to 1800.00 just a week or two ago, now back up to 2000.00.****

Sigma 35 1.4' s are 7-800.

sony GM is 1400.00, now discounted to 1300. So guessing its priced to match this, though canon usually floats its own boat so probably not likely. It's canon...and canon does canon stuff.

**** now selling for below msrp, at..1600.00..BH emailed price. shhhhhhh...be vewy vewy quiet...shhhh.

Upvote 0