Canon Announces First Lens in Series of Fixed Focal Length RF Hybrid Lenses – RF35mm F1.4L VCM

Disabling the aperture ring in photo mode is the stupidest decision ever. Like if it\'s already there and working, why disable it?
Using a ring on the lens for aperture is really only useful for video/cine works (just wonder : why did it disappear from most lenses during many years and only reappear since few years because of video/hybrid needs ?!). So if I was to rant, I'd say : remove this Aperture ring and lower the price :D

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Probably a dumb question, but here it is anyways (I'm a stills shooter not a videographer). For video, why would you want to change aperture on the lens with the camera rolling?
The sky changes as well as indoor lighting from room to room and you want a smooth transition.
That can be accomplished with a variable ND but sometimes you might also want more in focus.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Faster continous shooting
No sound of the aperture blades
Control of focus shift
Control of DOF while shooting
??

I would think the camera would still focus with the aperture wide open, as it does now. Perhaps not, though.

Why would the almost negligible sound of the aperture blades matter for stills?

Focus shift and DoF can already be controlled by changing the aperture in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments. Moreover, since shutter speed and ISO change in those increments, I suspect Canon would just round to the nearest 1/3 or 1/2 stop value anyway, for stills. I doubt the EXIF will report 1/200 s, ISO 640, f/2.654386539, for example.

Sorry, still not getting it.

Incidentally, I was wrong about it being continuously variable – it’s 1/32 stop increments. The lens specs suggest it may never be usable in stills.

“Aperture value adjustment steps: During movie shooting: 1/32 stop; during still photo shooting: adjust on camera”

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
this has been a busy day!

Of course as always, I was travelling today. It's either Craig or me, but one of us is travelling during a release.

some more information for you all, including a spiffy 360 degree view of the lens.

Upvote 0
https://www.optyczne.pl/20032-news-Canon_RF_35_mm_f_1.4L_VCM_-_zdjęcia_przykładowe.html

Some samples for you folks to pixel peep. Please use a translator.

From my own observation looking at only F1.4 :

Extremely sharp wide open from corner to corner even at 100% pixel peeping, there is no sharpening in camera, this lens is really really sharp.
The bokeh is beautifully melt away.
There are green-purple fringings at corner, not much, you must pixel peep to see it. With these little fringings, I believe the bokeh at 1.4 will be as dreamy as the legendary EF 135mm at F2.0. Should be a very popular lens for portrait photographer.

I'm waiting for Bryan test on the night sky for the winged-stars, and hopefully Canon Asia announces it soon.

Upvote 0
The RF35STM is my always-on, go anywhere lens, so I am trying to convince myself that size, weight and niceties such as MFD and stabilization are more important to me than optical quality.

But still the 35L just seems like a really nice lens to lust after :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why is this lens so small and so cheap? I am a hybrid shooter photo + video but I would love to have 28mm or 35mm 1.2 lens dedicated to photo with big front element like 50, 85 and 135 :) Do you have any indications of 35 1.2 coming?

Upvote 0
I was all ready to order this lens but then realized it doesn't have IS.
I suppose I just assumed that as a hybrid lens it would have IS...
No IS = No interest for me as well. I guess many customers don't consider IS that important. But for stills, IS generally gives roughly 2X-3X that of IBIS alone, and combined IS/IBIS gives roughly 3X-4X of IBIS alone.

Upvote 0
I was all ready to order this lens but then realized it doesn't have IS.
I suppose I just assumed that as a hybrid lens it would have IS...
NOT Having IS is a Bummer!!

This is a Lens Targeted at Low Light Situations....so IS was a MUST for enhancing it's Low Light capabilities...to get stable shots at Slower shutter speeds

typical Canon Cripple Hammer!!

Upvote 0

This is a Lens Targeted at Low Light Situations....so IS was a MUST for enhancing it's Low Light capabilities...to get stable shots at Slower shutter speeds

Its EF predecessor was released in 2015, also without IS, and long before IBIS was a thing in Canon bodies, and people still managed to produce great work with it. I suspect this new one will do quite well.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

What cripple hammer? Canon never had a 35mm 1.4 lens with IS. None of the other manufacturers have 35mm lenses with IS either. Not Sony, not Sigma. You have IS in the body

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
No IS = No interest for me as well. I guess many customers don't consider IS that important. But for stills, IS generally gives roughly 2X-3X that of IBIS alone, and combined IS/IBIS gives roughly 3X-4X of IBIS alone.
Your numbers are neither generally true, nor specifically true in the case of a 35mm lens.

The relative contributions of each IS system to total stabilization depend on the focal length. At the wide end, IBIS is more effective than lens IS. For example, the RF 28-70/2 lacks lens IS but is rated for 8 stops on IBIS bodies, and the RF 50/1.8 that also lacks lens IS gets 7 stops from IBIS. Lenses in this focal range with IS generally get 4-5.5 stops from that, which increases to 7-8 stops with IBIS.

Since 7-8 stops is the maximum achievable with coordinated IS (depending on the lens, more specifically on the lens’ image circle), IBIS alone can deliver the maximum possible stabilization for wide and normal lenses.

At long focal lengths, the opposite is true – IBIS is relatively ineffective. For example, the RF 600/11 gets 5 stops without IBIS and 6 stops with IBIS.

Granted, if you’re using an R8 or other camera lacking IBIS, lens IS is your only option. But that doesn’t seem to be your complaint.

I don’t see that Canon has provided the stabilization rating for the new 35/1.4L, so the jury is still out but given that other lenses in that focal range get 7-8 stops from IBIS, I think your concern is premature.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0