Canon Announces First Lens in Series of Fixed Focal Length RF Hybrid Lenses – RF35mm F1.4L VCM

They’re controlling two separate groups, one for the floating group (nano USM) and one for the rear focusing group (VCM).

Canon has been doing that lately with just Nano USM, the lenses featuring Dual Nano USM (e.g., 100-500L, 100-300/2.8) have separate groups each with their own motor.

Next question, why VCM instead of Nano USM for one of the two motors? Canon says it used this design because it works well for both photo and video applications (from PetaPixel). I suspect it’s because a voice coil actuator can deliver more force than NanoUSM at the same speed, and the rear focus group of the RF 35/1.4 is reasonably heavy, but not heavy enough to need ring USM.
If 2 different motor technologies then why only "focus" on VCM in the lens description.
Surely it should be RF35 f1.4L VCM USM because if the "Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO" is a good name then Canon should jump on the bandwagon :)
Has Canon ever separated USM types before except for STM and USM (whether ring or nano or dual or VCM)?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I agree. I have the RF 50mm 1.2 and Rf 85mm 1.2 and despite their great quality, I hate shooting with them because of the weight. I would gladly trade them for 1.4 L primes.

I have both also and you couldn't pay me and give me the 1.4 lenses if it meant losing the extra stop since I'm a grown man and can hold 200-300 and even 400 grams almost indefinitely.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Very interesting development from Canon.

With how they've worded things, I really suspect we will eventually see an IQ focused 35 1.2 in the (near) far future, possibly when they update the 50 1.2 into a MKII version for those that just want the absolute no compromises image quality.

I do like the aperture ring, IF all the lenses in the line-up have it already, if they don't then I'd rather they leave it off. That's what I really like about the Sony kit I use for work. Every GM lens has an aperture ring that turns the same way, the zoom/focus rings are all in the same place and it makes it very easy for muscle memory to take over when you're thinking about a dozen other things when shooting. I suspect most will leave it in A and just change it via the body dials.

Also, aside from the more compact size, I am digging that price. Canon L glass comes in at roughly 15-20% more expensive that Sony in New Zealand, which can be the difference between building a 2.8 trinity kit or being able to also add a couple of 1.4 primes when purchasing several lenses. Maybe we've all just gotten accustomed to Canon's really high prices to where this is a breath of fresh air.

Yeah, I'll be holding on to my EF 1.4 II and just hope for a 1.2. Heck, I'd even keep the 1.4 even after getting the 1.2. It has an extremely unique falloff character I doubt either of these two new lenses could duplicate, sharpness be damned. Also it's pretty freaking sharp too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'll be holding on to my EF 1.4 II and just hope for a 1.2. Heck, I'd even keep the 1.4 even after getting the 1.2. It has an extremely unique falloff character I doubt either of these two new lenses could duplicate, sharpness be damned. Also it's pretty freaking sharp too.
Yes the 35mmII is plenty sharp, for daytime it is perfect, but using it via the adapter loses some of its stellar performance on EF mount cameras, like fringing and winged stars at wide open which would never happen with EF mount cams, I hope this new lens will correct that, and I will be a happy camper!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
its true but my godox battery after 4 years of very very rare use got swollen.
another time i lost its seperate charger.
i now wish i had AA batteries.
Mine is still OK after 3 years, fingers crossed!
The EL-1/5 ship without a charger, assuming you have a R5/6/7, which in theory saves a charger, but not for me when I sell my R7 :)
I still don’t know if I want AA or a dedicated battery, but my godox is still working fine, so no real incentive to get an EL-5/10 :)

Upvote 0