Canon Announces First Lens in Series of Fixed Focal Length RF Hybrid Lenses – RF35mm F1.4L VCM

NOT Having IS is a Bummer!!

This is a Lens Targeted at Low Light Situations....so IS was a MUST for enhancing it's Low Light capabilities...to get stable shots at Slower shutter speeds

typical Canon Cripple Hammer!!
Typical failure to understand the technical details, since IBIS can provide all the stabilization possible at this focal length.

Edit: fair point about video for C-series bodies. Not something I typically consider as I use video cameras for video, not my ILCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Its EF predecessor was released in 2015, also without IS, and long before IBIS was a thing in Canon bodies, and people still managed to produce great work with it. I suspect this new one will do quite well.
Having IS in Lens is a Great must have tool for Video...
Because most Canon cine 'C Series' cameras don't have in built IBIS in camera...(the Canon C500,C300,C70,R5C etc don't have IBIS)

IS in Lens is very handy to take care of the micro jitters during hand hold Video shooting...

most RF lenses have been released with IS built in, So it was expected that canon would include IS in this lens as well.

NOT having IS seems like an ODD and STRANGE decision on Canon's part.

Upvote 0
Typical failure to understand the technical details, since IBIS can provide all the stabilization possible at this focal length.

Edit: fair point about video for C-series bodies. Not something I typically consider as I use video cameras for video, not my ILCs.
Well I don't agree with this 'Technical detail' argument.

Because most Canon cine 'C Series' cameras don't have in built IBIS in camera...(the Canon C500,C300,C70,R5C etc don't have IBIS)

IS in Lens is very handy to take care of the micro jitters during hand hold Video shooting...

most RF lenses have been released with IS built in, So it was expected that canon would include IS in this lens as well.

Upvote 0

Professionals use a gimbal.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The RF35STM is my always-on, go anywhere lens, so I am trying to convince myself that size, weight and niceties such as MFD and stabilization are more important to me than optical quality.

But still the 35L just seems like a really nice lens to lust after :)
I know what you are saying. With IS and macro the STM is a practical lens. The new lens is for when only the very best will do. I will keep both my 35 lenses. One for general use and the other for professional use...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RF 50 1.2, 85 1.2 don't have IS either. No Canon 35mm 1.4 ever had IS before. It's bright enough for fast shutter speeds.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist:

Very few testers actually test stabilization. Those who do report real world results that are significantly less than standard industry claims. Can you cite any sources who have tested IBIS on Canon cameras with non-IS lenses and achieved more than two stops improvement?

Upvote 0

what F1.4 under 85mm prime has Canon ever made with IS?

IS benefits longer focal lengths more than shorter ones, and it's considerably more difficult to put IS into a small lens - especially the L grade IS. Not to mention I dont' think any of Canon's cini primes have IS either. It adds quite a bit of weight, and depending on the focusing groups (which this lens has 2), it could be damned well near impossible because you need a optical group to shift around that isn't tied to focus AND there's enough room around it for the IS mechanics. Oh and add more money for the creation of the pocket universe to shove all that weight and additional size into.

But you can always get the Sony 35mm F1.4 GM with IS... oh wait.

Upvote 0
Professionals use a gimbal.
Gimbal...Really?? ....How do you use a Gimbal for taking Stills???

Gimbal is a very different tool... for particular video use case scenarios.

Because IS ( in camera or in Lens) is such a game changer..That SONY has included the IBIS in the BURANO.
Canon has a lot of catch up to do in terms of innovation and Features.

• Haha
Upvote 0
neuroanatomist:

Very few testers actually test stabilization. Those who do report real world results that are significantly less than standard industry claims. Can you cite any sources who have tested IBIS on Canon cameras with non-IS lenses and achieved more than two stops improvement?
I consistently got 7-stops with the RF 85 and RF50 with the R5.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sounds to me like they compromised the F1.2 to accommodate videographers who have their own line of cinema gear that btw makes no compromises to accommodate still photographers needs, so why do photographers have to make concessions for videographers? Canon where’s the RF 35mm f1.2 L? #canon #rf35mmf1.2l
I am no videographer, but I am astute enough to know 1. videographers do not have the cinema line to choose from if they shoot on mirrorless cameras. Cinema line is 2x to 3x $$ for the gear, much more limited in application and much more specific to more professional productions. If you are a wedding videographer, youtube video maker, etc. Mirrorless is where it's at. It's more portable, cheaper and more than capable for most people's needs. 2. Canon is a business and needs to maximize sales. Without both photographers and videographers buying mirrorless cameras and lenses, these products would fail. Canon doesn't develop separate lenses and cameras for photographers because we could never support their products alone. It's why cameras have had video features built in for 15 years. 3. Without video specific tech, we would not have half of the technology in the camera. The AF in particular would still be in the dark ages if sensors had not advanced thanks for the push for better video capabilities. 4. A 1.4 lens is not a compromise - it is the better choice between 1.2 and 1.4. It saves on size, weight and cost, at the expense of only an unoticable half-stop of light that is easily made up for in ISO or in post production, and it's missing an extra degree of razor-thin DOF that isn't even usable in 90% of applications. Feel free to boycott this lens or whatever, but Canon made the right choice here

Last edited:
Upvote 0
typical Canon Cripple Hammer!!
This comment pretty much pegged you as a troll, but I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Until...

Gimbal...Really?? ....How do you use a Gimbal for taking Stills???
Gimbal is a very different tool... for particular video use case scenarios.
Either you're cripplingly hypocritical, or you just want to troll and complain about this lens. Pro tip: if you don't like it, don't buy it. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist:

IS is rated according to the CIPA standard. Like the US EPA mileage estimates for cars, it's not necessarily reflective of real world use. That's perfectly logical, the EPA doesn't know how I personally step on the accelerator pedal, and CIPA doesn't know how much coffee I drink. It's still useful as a relative comparison.

Having said that, personally I get about 7 stops of real-world benefit with my typical shooting using the 28-70/2. That's pretty consistent with my testing of lens-based IS systems, which I did when writing reviews of the EF-M lenses for TDP and found that in my hands, they typically delivered 1/3 - 2/3 of a stop less than their Canon (CIPA) rating. Worth noting that with the R3 and 28-70/2, when I take a 30 fps burst I can reliably get at least a couple of crisp frames at 8-9 stops slower than without IS.

Upvote 0
This comment pretty much pegged you as a troll, but I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Until...

Either you're cripplingly hypocritical, or you just want to troll and complain about this lens. Pro tip: if you don't like it, don't buy it. Have a nice day.
Sorry...but You sound too much like a 'Canon Spokesperson' - Just highlighting "this is the best 35 canon ever made!'

My point is:

IS would have made a lot of sense for this lens;
& omitting IS has not been a wise decision by Canon for this lens at least.

because this lens is directed towards the wedding,photo journalism,run and gun, documentary market..for Hybrid shooters for both stills and video; where IS would have been a worthy upgrade to the already existing 35L II. Question is : Why would one be tempted to buy this 35L if he already has the older 35 L II ?? We all know that the image quality improvements are marginally incremental at the higher end of the curve.

When canon launched this excellent 24-105 L IS Z USM lens ( pricey buy worthy) ..They could have had a great follow up prime in this 35 lens by including a basic feature set for hybrid shooters.

Attachments

• Canon 24 105 L IS USM Z Lens.jpg
    Canon 24 105 L IS USM Z Lens.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
In Gordon't test the new lens is MUCH sharper than the EF version II, especially in the corners. Also, significantly sharper than the RF 35 1.8.
The MFT charts say otherwise. They are very close in real world shooting. It’s sharp, it’s new, it’s light, it’s native and it focuses a lot closer and it’s $1600 bucks for a premium L. Nice one Canon!

Upvote 0