Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L VCM coming tomorrow at Cinema EOS event

I REALLY hope Canon releases an updated version of their RF15-35 f/2.8 and maybe even an updated RF24-70 f/2.8
Why? Are there problems with the current ones?

I think the 24-105/4 is an excellent lens spec but the current one is... well... good, but still about the softest RF lens I've tested. I'd pay double for one a lot sharper.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I\'m wondering is it worth to wait for 35 mm 1\'2L?
I'm frankly hoping for a 35mm f/1.0. It's not a fantasy spec. The aperture is only 35mm, same as a 50/1.4. Zenit already made this for the M mount in 2019 (not sure if it's a full-frame sensor though). No point in having an 35/1.2 if we have a 35/1.4 if you ask me. My main concern is vignetting and cats-eye shaped OOF highlights towards the corners. The rounder those are the readier I am to pay USD5k for one...

Upvote 0
Voice coil motor...was this not used in Canon PowerShot camera for faster, quiet zooming?!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
V for a video-centric lens?
I think Voice Coil Motor makes the most sense. Canon typically designates the focus motor in the lens name, so if the lens is actually called RF 35mm f/1.4L VCM, without USM or STM in the name, it pretty much has to be voice coil motor.

I’ve used voice coil actuators/motors in scientific instrument applications, it’s certainly an appropriate type of motor for moving the focus group in a lens.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Why? Are there problems with the current ones?

I think the 24-105/4 is an excellent lens spec but the current one is... well... good, but still about the softest RF lens I've tested. I'd pay double for one a lot sharper.
Thanks for asking.

My primary problem with the RF 15-35 f/2.8 is its size and weight. I am a Canon shooter and generally like my RF15-35 but I recently got to try out the Sony a1 with the Sony-E 16-35 f/2.8 GM II and the Sony 16-35 GM II is way lighter and way more compact with the same if not better image quality. If Canon released a lighter and more compact RF15-35 (even if they had to drop internal IS) I'd be very happy as my R5 with the RF15-35 attached to it is simply too heavy for gimbal work. The Sony 16-35 is literally half the weight with equal or better image quality.

I don't have any problems with the 24-70 or 24-105 but new renditions of them could still make them either more compact or give them even better image quality.

So yeah, the main reason I hope for an updated RF15-35 is its relatively heavy weight and that it could be more compact.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Did you ever have Canon check it out? The results you’ve posted from your copy do not match mine and many other online test results. I’m not doubting your claim that your 50/1.8 is sharper than your 24-105/4L, I’m suggesting that your L zoom is a poor copy (they do exist for all lenses, and Canon fixes them under warranty).

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0