Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L VCM coming tomorrow at Cinema EOS event

Thank you for checking. I posted a link to the Nikon website.
Thanks. "WARNING: Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or other medical device. The magnet or magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction."

Remember those big sombreros and hoops that were marketed during COVID? Nikon...and now Canon...may need to sell a version of those with a warning label on it.

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 3.33.35 PM.png

The 5 gauss line is the threshold past which it's not considered safe for someone with a pacemaker to be near an MRI:
Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 3.32.45 PM.png

Upvote 0
Thanks. "WARNING: Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or other medical device. The magnet or magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction."

Remember those big sombreros and hoops that were marketed during COVID? Nikon...and now Canon...may need to sell a version of those with a warning label on it.

View attachment 217218

The 5 gauss line is the threshold past which it's not considered safe for someone with a pacemaker to be near an MRI:
View attachment 217219
Yes I remember those 5 gauss lines on NMR.

In all seriousness I really want to know if the new VCM designs are compatible with pacemakers.

My understanding is that the Sony linear XD motors use voice coils and they have no specific restrictions on use.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yes I remember those 5 gauss lines on NMR.
Last time I was at Harvard Med School’s 11.7 T vertical bore magnet, the warning line was a yellow plastic chain laid on the floor that anyone stepping over could easily trip on and kick out of place. EH&S apparently has little clout in academia.

Then again, the magnetic field isn’t the only hazard. When Bruker installed a 7 T magnet for me, they forgot to open the relief valve when they left it filling overnight with liquid helium. Fortunately it blew at 4 am with no one around. It takes a lot of force to embed Mylar fragments in drywall, let alone the structural damage.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Did you ever have Canon check it out? The results you’ve posted from your copy do not match mine and many other online test results. I’m not doubting your claim that your 50/1.8 is sharper than your 24-105/4L, I’m suggesting that your L zoom is a poor copy (they do exist for all lenses, and Canon fixes them under warranty).
I´m not satisfied with my RF 24-105mm F4 L as well. I sent it to Canon CPS twice already. One time they actually had to adjust the lens group and it helped with focusing issues. The second time they just did some cleaning and stated everything is in order. Of all the L lenses I shot with is probably is the weakest performing one. I don´t do test charts etc, it is just what subjectively feel about the IQ etc.

Anyways, I´m still not happy with the lens, so I usually just use the 14-35mm F4 L and 70-200mm F4 setup. At the moment, I only use the 24-105mm on some field trips with my school class. I am considering selling it, but I am not quite sure what to get to replace it with. The 28-70mm F2 is a a dream. I would surely get good use out of it and would be willing to pay for it, but too heavy for everyday duty. A 24-70mm F does not exist... 24-70mm F2.8 is very expansive for what it is...

So, I am in wait-and-see mode what Canon might offer within the next year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why? Are there problems with the current ones?

I think the 24-105/4 is an excellent lens spec but the current one is... well... good, but still about the softest RF lens I've tested. I'd pay double for one a lot sharper.
There is always the 24-105/2.8 at a bit over double the price
I am happy with my 24-105/4. I don't expect it to be the same as my other L lenses but good enough for walkaround, karate sparring and aerials. Even good for newborn shoot recently in a small space.

Upvote 0
There is always the 24-105/2.8 at a bit over double the price
I am happy with my 24-105/4. I don't expect it to be the same as my other L lenses but good enough for walkaround, karate sparring and aerials. Even good for newborn shoot recently in a small space.
I'm very happy with mine, I use it all the time for my pro work without any issues whatsoever. I also frequently run it on a gimbal, since it offers so much flexibility and IS helps with smoothness of the footage. It's a no brainer lens, both range wise, price wise and feature wise.

It's not going to get anyone salivating over bokeh quality, but it gets the job done and that's what matters most.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I hope this doesn't mean it will rely too much on software distortion correction.
would it be an issue? ultimately it is about the quality of the final file for me.
I am looking forward to the extra 2mm of focal length of the RF14-35/4 over my EF16-35/4 combined with the same filter thread even if the quality for the extra 2mm isn't perfect in the corners. It means that I would use my EF8-15/4 much less

Upvote 0
I am looking forward to the extra 2mm of focal length of the RF14-35/4 over my EF16-35/4 combined with the same filter thread even if the quality for the extra 2mm isn't perfect in the corners.
I found the corrected (DxO) RF 14-35/4 at the wide end to deliver similar extreme corner image quality as the EF 11-24/4, and match the framing of ~13.5mm. Worth noting that at that point in the zoom range, the much more expensive 11-24/4 has essentially no geometric distortion (it’s transitioning from barrel to pincushion). IOW, the force-corrected corners of the RF 14-35 are really quite good.

After performing those tests, I stopped caring about RF lenses (at least the L ones) requiring distortion correction, except as a matter of academic interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I found the corrected (DxO) RF 14-35/4 at the wide end to deliver similar extreme corner image quality as the EF 11-24/4, and match the framing of ~13.5mm. Worth noting that at that point in the zoom range, the much more expensive 11-24/4 has essentially no geometric distortion (it’s transitioning from barrel to pincushion). IOW, the force-corrected corners of the RF 14-35 are really quite good.

After performing those tests, I stopped caring about RF lenses (at least the L ones) requiring distortion correction, except as a matter of academic interest.
that's great to hear :)

Upvote 0
what's the general consensus regarding the rumors about a 35 1.2. Is this still happening or do you think Canon will focus on hybrid shooters going forward with the to be announced 35 1.4 VCM (24 and 50 f/1.4) or will there be another Halo lens in 35mm akin to the 50/85 f/1.2?

Upvote 0
what's the general consensus regarding the rumors about a 35 1.2. Is this still happening or do you think Canon will focus on hybrid shooters going forward with the to be announced 35 1.4 VCM (24 and 50 f/1.4) or will there be another Halo lens in 35mm akin to the 50/85 f/1.2?
I believe Canon will only make one, if this 35 1.4 is coming out, then I guess no hope for a 1.2 lens. But I do wonder if they would make this new 35mm as stellar as the 135mmRF, the ultimate benchmark lens, too sharp and too well-corrected, then the new 35mm would be my ultimate lens for landscape astro panorama with a tracker.

Upvote 0