Let’s talk Canon EOS R1, the flagship of flagships?

The R3 will undoubtedly drop in price but Canon is also probably planning an R3 Mark II at the $6 K USD price point.
Or the R3 was a one-off and there won’t be an R3II.
Or the R3 moves downmarket like the R7 vs 7D and becomes basically an R5 with integrated grip.
(Edit) Or they go retro and put an APS-H sensor in the R3. (I’m joking- maybe?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As someone who has slowly transitioned to the Mirrorless phenomenon I love the images my R3 produces. A year ago I had the 1dx and 1dxmk2. The 1dxmk2 produced amazing images compared to my 1dx and now the R3 produces better images then the 1dxmk2. I’m glad to see the differences and improvements. I am intrigued about the R1. I just don’t have the funds to purchase the R1. I think I will be able to get by with the R3 but I will certainly look to see if the R1 is that much better then the R3. And if it is. I will try my best to budget for the new R1. In a perfect world to save on cost I am glad to see the batteries will be interchangeable. I was hoping the memory cards would be the same. I’m sure the need for quicker read/write speed is more important now then ever. Can’t wait to see what the R1 will produce.

Upvote 0
The thing that has driven me nuts the most with the R series lineup is how Canon has no common design language between models. Every single camera has a different layout/controls, it’s insane. It’s like every camera has a different team and they’re all working in silo’s reinventing the wheel over and over. The R7 was a great example of this, instead of just using the R5 or R6 body and putting an APSC sensor in it they gave us this Frankenstein rebel body with a thumb wheel/joystick combo that’s never been seen on any other camera.
I think Canon's designers like to try out new things. The EOS R's multifunction bar is an example, as is the R7's quick control dial placement at the top of the camera back. If they're well-received they will be used on future cameras, and if not they won't.

Upvote 0
45MP is just under Nikon. Many were hoping the R1 would be just as useful in the studio for portraits and fashion as it is for sports. Don't know why Canon would preclude others and if "you want" to shoot smaller, just turn it down yourself.... We all know.... You can't turn it up.... If there is no up! (ROFL)
I am firmly in the camp of "the more mp the merrier"
I shoot fashion with an 80mp MF digital back and if I could afford one with 100mp or 150mp I would have bought one already.
I just do not understand all the people on this forum and others that, since they are happy with 24mp or 45mp or whatever number, seem unable to accept that there are other people that would be happy with more resolution :rolleyes: . There're plenty of FF cameras from 12mp to 60mp on the market and I think there's room for one at higher resolution.

Having said that, I am preparing myself for disappointment in terms of the resolution of sensor the R1 will sport. Everything else may be stellar and I will evaluate when the R1 specs will be known.
At $10,000 it will price out many. They can do much smaller production runs and still meet demands. Those moving from the 1DXMKIII's and II's will also be slower to adopt new glass at the $10K mark. Market dictates NIkon Z9 and GFX 100s/50II prices as representing the "Scope" of what the R1 will be getting into the sandbox with on the left and right of the spectrum. Canon can take from these markets or create competition for themselves. Best they capture market share from both and get their legacy 1DX, II, III users to all adopt too.
I had a 1D X and really liked it, but I am also very happy I moved to the R5, since I appreciate the increased resolution and better AF. And I used to love the EF 85mm 1.2L mkII but I have all but forgotten about it since I have started using the RF 85mm 1.2L.

As others, I do not think Canon will price the R1 at 10K, but, in reality, until we know the full spec list (and until some of those specs are tested in real life, especially if the R1 will contain some new tech like a new sensor or a new AF or something else), discussing whether a certain price point is cheap or just right or outrageous it's just good fun on the fora, nothing else :D

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The big improvements for me are much better eye detection and tracking and keeping the lens properly focused. When taking pictures of my kids the R8 is much better at keeping the lens correctly focussed, the M6II and R5 tend to drift when shooting a burst. The situation where I see this the most is when I take pictures sitting across the stable with the aperture wide open (e.g. f/1.8 or f/2 for RF, f/1.4 for EF-M). On the M6II about half the pictures won't have the iris in focus, while the focus square claims otherwise. The R5 is much better, but the R8 manages to improve on that.

Having said that, I'm starting to suspect that this hits STM lenses a lot worse than nano-USM lenses, especially with fairly static scenes. When renting the RF50L I don't recall having this issue, but I wasn't using 20fps ES back then :)

As for dragonflies, I've only managed bring cameras to dragonflies once this year, but I didn't try mounting the 100-500 to the R8 to compare it with the R5. With the RF100L it did seem to detect the eyes as, well, eyes a bit more than the R5, but not much noticeable difference in AF.
This does appear to be lens-dependent. Optyzne does controlled tests of reproducibility of AF: the RF 70-200 f/2.8 is superb but the RF f/1.2 is much worse on the R6 II and R6 - the older model seems better.
https://www.optyczne.pl/485.3-Test_aparatu-Canon_EOS_R6_Mark_II_Użytkowanie_i_ergonomia.html
https://www.optyczne.pl/465.3-Test_aparatu-Canon_EOS_R6_Użytkowanie_i_ergonomia.html
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 15.24.23.pngScreenshot 2023-06-09 at 15.15.40.png

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This does appear to be lens-dependent. Optyzne does controlled tests of reproducibility of AF: the RF 70-200 f/2.8 is superb but the RF f/1.2 is much worse on the R6 II and R6 - the older model seems better.
https://www.optyczne.pl/485.3-Test_aparatu-Canon_EOS_R6_Mark_II_Użytkowanie_i_ergonomia.html
https://www.optyczne.pl/465.3-Test_aparatu-Canon_EOS_R6_Użytkowanie_i_ergonomia.html
View attachment 209571View attachment 209572
But people complain about Canon AF and/or claim that Sony and Nikon are better. Sigh.

There's certainly going to be some variability but the reality is all of these systems are basically excellent. Especially for those of us who shot with manual focus and a frame rate that was determined by how fast you could move your thumb.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
But people complain about Canon AF and/or claim that Sony and Nikon are better. Sigh.

There's certainly going to be some variability but the reality is all of these systems are basically excellent. Especially for those of us who shot with manual focus and a frame rate that was determined by how fast you could move your thumb.
The AF on Canon, Nikon and Sony is bloody marvellous. I remember those days when you couldn’t advance your 35mm and hitch a ride at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Let's be real, cameras never live up to the rumored hype, ecspecially Canon. Canon has a way about making a camera that is almost good enough with a purposeful dificiency that one of their other cameras makes up for. The larger rear display if true might indicate better video capabilities, just what we all need, another video camera.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Let's be real, cameras never live up to the rumored hype, ecspecially Canon. Canon has a way about making a camera that is almost good enough with a purposeful dificiency that one of there other cameras makes up for. The larger rear display if true might indicate better video capabilities, just what we all need, another video camera.
I would suggest you wait for the "real" R1 before already fantasizing about imagined deficiencies...

Upvote 0

You should slowly get used to the "fact" that Canons are good, while Sonies and Nikons are marvellous. ;)

Upvote 0