Show your Bird Portraits

View attachment 217655
I can't identify this one yet...

View attachment 217656
Nok kana lek
Little cormorant (Microcarbo niger)

Looks kinda happy?

View attachment 217657
I can't seem to find this one's identity either.

View attachment 217660
Oriental magpie-robin (Copsychus saularis)

View attachment 217661

View attachment 217662

i believe Javan pond heron (Ardeola speciosa)? Unfortunately almost too blurry with the rf100-400. Was it the lens, atmosphere, or poor technique? The other's were with the heavier ef 100-400ii.

I think that's it for birds in flight. Hopefully I can wake up early and get to a good spot before dawn tomorrow.

I used to be a big Art Bell / coast to coast am fan. If you don't know the show. He was a late night talk radio show host who talked about various paranormal topics. Unfortunately he died a few years back, but you can find some old clips on YouTube. I think coast to coast continues with a different host and being in Thailand it must start around lunch time.
Photo #3 ("I can't seem to find this one's identity either.") - looks like the Lesser whistling duck (Dendrocygna javanica) to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
View attachment 217655
I can't identify this one yet...

View attachment 217656
Nok kana lek
Little cormorant (Microcarbo niger)

Looks kinda happy?

View attachment 217657
I can't seem to find this one's identity either.

View attachment 217660
Oriental magpie-robin (Copsychus saularis)

View attachment 217661

View attachment 217662

i believe Javan pond heron (Ardeola speciosa)? Unfortunately almost too blurry with the rf100-400. Was it the lens, atmosphere, or poor technique? The other's were with the heavier ef 100-400ii.

I think that's it for birds in flight. Hopefully I can wake up early and get to a good spot before dawn tomorrow.

I used to be a big Art Bell / coast to coast am fan. If you don't know the show. He was a late night talk radio show host who talked about various paranormal topics. Unfortunately he died a few years back, but you can find some old clips on YouTube. I think coast to coast continues with a different host and being in Thailand it must start around lunch time.
I think yellow top is a Baya Weaver . Can't see the color on the back and the belly to make a definite ID .

Upvote 0
I think yellow top is a Baya Weaver . Can't see the color on the back and the belly to make a definite ID .
I wish to see the breast... The part of the throat doesn't look streaked. And the yellow on the head seems to go further to the back. In the Streaked Weaver it is shorter. So, I think you are right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like it to me also. The colors on the wings are unique, aren't they? Thanks a lot!

The color of the wings is very similar to the Fulvous Whistling Duck (presumably the only Duck that could mess up the ID). Fortunately on your photo the upper tail is well visible and it is brownish-orange color (forget the color of the tail-covers, they are white). The Fulvous WD at that place is whitish to white. The other thing is the overall color of the head, neck etc that in the Lesser WD is more grayish.
And I think (but I'm not sure) at your spot the Fulvous WD could be only vagrant. In the breeding season you should see only the Lesser WD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The color of the wings is very similar to the Fulvous Whistling Duck (presumably the only Duck that could mess up the ID). Fortunately on your photo the upper tail is well visible and it is brownish-orange color (forget the color of the tail-covers, they are white). The Fulvous WD at that place is whitish to white. The other thing is the overall color of the head, neck etc that in the Lesser WD is more grayish.
And I think (but I'm not sure) at your spot the Fulvous WD could be only vagrant. In the breeding season you should see only the Lesser WD.

Maybe a Fulvous flew through the Bermuda triangle and appeared in a country you may know a Myanmar, but it'll always be Burma to me. Then flew east...

Upvote 0
I had packed the R5/100-500mm for a trip tomorrow when my wife saw a Thrush grab a snail and start bashing its shell off. Unpacked, shot through the double glazing, and here are the two best of the 100+ shots of the snail being devoured.

309A2571-DxO_thrush_eating_snail-ls-aut.jpeg309A2577-DxO_thrush_eating_snail-ls-aut.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0