The Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L VCM is in stock, deliveries to customers start June 27

Mine shipped out early this afternoon; ordered two days after launch. I really doubt this lens will be hard to come by for those who choose to wait.
I guess that there are 3 possible scenarios then, not necessarily mutually exclusive:
  1. Canon has sorted their supply chain issues
  2. Canon has decided to allocate much more prouction capacity to this lens than other previous offerings
  3. There has been less demand for this lens than Canon expected
Happy to consider other scenarios

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I guess that there are 3 possible scenarios then, not necessarily mutually exclusive:
  1. Canon has sorted their supply chain issues
  2. Canon has decided to allocate much more prouction capacity to this lens than other previous offerings
  3. There has been less demand for this lens than Canon expected
Happy to consider other scenarios
I think 2 seems likely considering the price point.

Upvote 0
Some images from Canon Korea, please kindly skip to the 2nd half for image quality

Upvote 0
Mine shipped out early this afternoon; ordered two days after launch. I really doubt this lens will be hard to come by for those who choose to wait.
I hope you’re right as I’d really like one but It’s already on Canon’s official back ordered list and it’s reported retailers are getting 50% of the stock they ordered.

I was also told by a retailer ongoing issues in the Red Sea are making it difficult for Canon to get stock to Europe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Originally I had a B&H pre-order from launch day, cancelled it to order locally within Canada.
So far mine has not shipped.

The retailer I ordered from has not received their supply yet. I also called another Canadian retailer who has not received supply.

Sad lesson learned if you want it ASAP, order from the US.

Upvote 0
Review of 35VCM

People get so hung up on such small things that they never produce anything great. The RF 35mm 1.4 is one of the greatest lenses I have ever attached to my camera. I'll post some wedding photos with it soon.

Upvote 0
posted this in another thread, if he’s not straight up lying, this is a huge disappointment…
Have you tried it yet? Oh the disappointment! He shares a few examples of charts and some poorly done portraits in bad lighting and environments. He gets upset when the lens doesn't react like a previous non-Canon lens when pointed directly at the sun. He also complains about the lens knocking around when it's off due to the new focusing system. Instead of this, why don’t people post videos showing real-world examples of professionals making a living with this lens? For those of us earning a full-time living with our cameras, his video is irrelevant in 99.9% of our shooting scenarios. People often focus on the negatives and miss out on what's great. In reality, this lens is far superior to any 35mm I've ever used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some pics from Flickr, from my observation, the lens is pretty sharp, there is nothing wrong with it.

It's an incredible lens man. Far superior to any 35 Canon has ever released. It is like shooting the RF 50 1.2 but at 35mm. Remarkably sharp from center to border and the colors are magnificent.

Upvote 0
Have you tried it yet? Oh the disappointment! He shares a few examples of charts and some poorly done portraits in bad lighting and environments. He gets upset when the lens doesn't react like a previous non-Canon lens when pointed directly at the sun. He also complains about the lens knocking around when it's off due to the new focusing system. Instead of this, why don’t people post videos showing real-world examples of professionals making a living with this lens? For those of us earning a full-time living with our cameras, his video is irrelevant in 99.9% of our shooting scenarios. People often focus on the negatives and miss out on what's great. In reality, this lens is far superior to any 35mm I've ever used.
I get that you like to defend your purchase, but it isn’t as good as it should be, and relying on software to correct MASSIVE distortion and more CA than any other RF-L is pretty bad for an L. And that on top of flare issues etc doesn’t scream L-quality like the RF 50, RF 85 and RF 135 does. But, it’s also reflected in the price as it’s quite a bit cheaper. The EF 35 L II was a lot more expensive than the EF 50, 85 and 135 so I suspected it wouldn’t match the 50, 85 and 135, and looks like it didn’t either. Which begs the question; is this the only 35 L that will be released for the R-system, or is it the first of a new f1,4 lineup or just a single midrange like the EF 85 f1,4 L?

One might not see all the flaws in all real life situations, but using examples to show the issues is easy to transfer to real life and some shoot a lot where one or more issues appear and some don’t as much.

They focused it on video as much as photography, which doesn’t really work well. And for many, many users of the 35, myself included, it will never be used for video so the lack of focus breathing and the aperture ring is a complete waste.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They focused it on video as much as photography, which doesn’t really work well. And for many, many users of the 35, myself included, it will never be used for video so the lack of focus breathing and the aperture ring is a complete waste.
Seemed to work ok for the 24-105/2.8L, though. For me also, the aperture ring is useless...but it's an excellent lens.

Upvote 0