Canon’s big announcements coming the third week of July

Well you won't believe me....but my source is very well known and works for Getty.... who by the way will all be forced to be using the R1 at the Olympics, even if they are Nikon or Sony shooters. There are a fair few pretty unimpressed snappers after using it.
After all these years that Canon have had to match, and maybe even get in front of Sony and Nikon...and it's basically just an R3 with a bit faster focussing? Still only 24MP?
You will all be pretty disappointed when its finally announced I think.
Didn't say I don't believe you, but that I'm just waiting for some official wellknown sources.
I did have no means of knowing how reliable your source was...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have spoken to a photographer who has used the R1. Yes 24MP. Yes the AF is better. Some AI thing where you photograph someones face, then you can set it to track and follow that persons face only...they described it as a bit of a gimmick. But the camera is basically just an R3 mkii. Not what they had hoped it would be. They said if they were spending their own money, they wouldn't even bother upgrading from the R3!
Exactly as one would expect since camera tech is already so mature. R3 owners are obviously not the target market, but for those who have the R3 and have already shot a few hundred thousand images, they may be ready for a new camera and will get an R1. And others will always find an upgrade in AF to be worth upgrading. As always, it will depend on what specific specs are the most vital for each individual photographer.

Upvote 0
Well you won't believe me....but my source is very well known and works for Getty.... who by the way will all be forced to be using the R1 at the Olympics, even if they are Nikon or Sony shooters. There are a fair few pretty unimpressed snappers after using it.
After all these years that Canon have had to match, and maybe even get in front of Sony and Nikon...and it's basically just an R3 with a bit faster focussing? Still only 24MP?
Funny that a well known Nikon representative - in talking to the sports shooters he knows - says that many of those shooters really would prefer 16 MP for a faster workflow to transmit their images. So, "still only 24MP" is probably a plus for working pros. I realize gear-heads will whine and complain, but, as is usually the case, the most ignorant make the most noise.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have spoken to a photographer who has used the R1. Yes 24MP. Yes the AF is better. Some AI thing where you photograph someones face, then you can set it to track and follow that persons face only...they described it as a bit of a gimmick. But the camera is basically just an R3 mkii. Not what they had hoped it would be. They said if they were spending their own money, they wouldn't even bother upgrading from the R3!
I’ll bite: What sort of features is this photographer looking for, then? I’m only an amateur sports shooter, but this is exactly the sort of feature I would love to have.

Upvote 0
Like the new 24MP Sony a9 III sports camera. A difference is that R1 image quality won't be degraded by a global shutter.
Yes, it's interesting that Sony, after no doubt getting some feedback from real sports pro's using their machines, chose to make their latest and greatest camera 24 MP. Maybe Canon knows a thing or two about their market and knows that 24 MP is just fine.

Some people here write as if Canon just kind of chooses their specs for their cameras on a random whim. In reality they have real world feedback from true working pro's and make their choices very carefully.

Upvote 0
Some people here write as if Canon just kind of chooses their specs for their cameras on a random whim. In reality they have real world feedback from true working pro's and make their choices very carefully.
Impossible. Everyone here knows that randos on the internet know more about making and selling cameras than Canon. ;)

Upvote 0
There is no way. Regulatory and cultural factors aside, I don’t see complimentary businesses. Apple does not need litho machines at the node canon makes. Apple does not need an optics business. If Apple wanting a printing business they’d white label. They could build their own camera by sourcing parts—look at the Vision Pro! Apple branded copiers?? Apple branded CT scanners?! And Canon is way way too big to buy for a patent portfolio.

Harry was being funny because that’s what he does but no friggin way.
Thanks! Good points. It would be more likely Apple make some special software for Canon to connect to macs or iphone/ipads, but that also appears like a "no friggin way" scenario, right?

Upvote 0
Only the spec whores will be disappointed and they probably wouldn't buy it if it had 200mp anyway because of reasons...

Upvote 0
Thanks! Good points. It would be more likely Apple make some special software for Canon to connect to macs or iphone/ipads, but that also appears like a "no friggin way" scenario, right?
Canon did add an Apple mode to their cameras with the R7 and newer, it works very well with Camera connect, no more wifi needed.

In the settings menu on the camera you can pick PTP (aka the mode you’re used to), UVC (webcam mode) and iPhone. The R7 has a half baked implementation, the R8 has a much more complete one.

For android Canon has a thing for the new flash shoe, I don’t know what it does, just that it likely does nothing for my phone :)

• Wow
Upvote 0
Funny that a well known Nikon representative - in talking to the sports shooters he knows - says that many of those shooters really would prefer 16 MP for a faster workflow to transmit their images. So, "still only 24MP" is probably a plus for working pros. I realize gear-heads will whine and complain, but, as is usually the case, the most ignorant make the most noise.
Not true. Editorial photographers want the bigger file size to give them the opportunity to crop into their images more. When you are shooting unpredictable events such as news and sports you cannot always fill the frame with your subject due to being stuck in a fixed spot and not able to move, the unpredictability of your subject or the limitations of using a fixed prime lens such as a 400mm lens and unable to zoom in any more. All staff Associated Press photographers recently switched from using Canon to now all shooting with Sony, and AFP are using Nikon. With the photographers using the equivalent pro versions of the Sony and Nikon cameras having twice the file size to work with, they will be able to crop into and distribute images that photographers using the R1 just won't be able to do, putting the R1 user at a pretty big disadvantage in a very competitive environment. Especially at the upcoming Olympics!

Upvote 0
Were you replying to someone else? I did not say that
Yeah this one was stated by somebody else who complained about it freezing that often. Might have been a bit misleading as introduction right under your quote.

Now that I think about it, the 5D (classic) locked up on me once. It was my only camera and I was on my first safari so I had a mild panic attack :eek: - then I came to my senses and remove the batteries and that fixed it. So many great memories with that camera! My first FF :love:
Yeah, I know that mild panic when freezing happens the first time
Of course even seconds can be too long when shooting action, but I would say it’s that rare, that it is not risky.

To be honest, it's not like I customize much: I set how I want the 2 memory card to operate, change something for AF and customize the control ring (then promptly forget about it, never to be used). I am mostly a stills shooter so I do not touch the video settings. That's about it
Almost the same here.. but I don’t really consider the settings for cards, AF and Wi-Fi customizing, as these are just settings to be set. Customizing for me begins when rearranging functions/buttons and stuff like that, but that’s just my interpretation of customizing.

Upvote 0
Not true. Editorial photographers want the bigger file size to give them the opportunity to crop into their images more. When you are shooting unpredictable events such as news and sports you cannot always fill the frame with your subject due to being stuck in a fixed spot and not able to move, the unpredictability of your subject or the limitations of using a fixed prime lens such as a 400mm lens and unable to zoom in any more. All staff Associated Press photographers recently switched from using Canon to now all shooting with Sony, and AFP are using Nikon.
Can I understand better what the minimum output file size needs to be? Is it for web or printing (what size/DPI)?
I get the ability to crop and I like the R5's 45mp but reality is that I don't really need that many if I really thought about it carefully.

Wouldn't lenses like the RF100-300/2.8 or Nikon 120-300/2.8 (with or without TC) provide that composition flexibility that the Sony telephotos don't and hence cropping isn't as important?

If the rumoured RF200-500/4 is ever released then it would compete well against the Nikon 180-400/4 (1.4TC) so removing that point of difference. Has Sony been rumoured to get a big telephoto zoom?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the photographers using the equivalent pro versions of the Sony and Nikon cameras having twice the file size to work with, they will be able to crop into and distribute images that photographers using the R1 just won't be able to do, putting the R1 user at a pretty big disadvantage in a very competitive environment. Especially at the upcoming Olympics!
Yeah, it’s almost as if Canon didn’t talk to professional sports photographers when designing the R1. Except, no doubt they did. They just didn’t talk to you. Obviously, Sony made the same egregious error when designing the a9III.

As you say, cropping is the most important thing. It’s not as if the ability to capture the exact peak of action with a higher frame rate provides any meaningful advantage.

If only Canon understood what photographers need as well as you do. Alas.

As a sidenote, it seems you’re new here. Over the past 14 years, I’ve seen a parade of “experts“ such as yourself telling us about all of Canon’s many mistakes and how they will have negative consequences. Somehow, Canon has weathered the storm of mistakes and managed to consistently lead the market and maintain a dominant market share. I suspect that’s because they do a very good job of determining the needs of buyers and fulfilling them.

Upvote 0