Canon’s big announcements coming the third week of July

With the photographers using the equivalent pro versions of the Sony and Nikon cameras having twice the file size to work with, they will be able to crop into and distribute images that photographers using the R1 just won't be able to do, putting the R1 user at a pretty big disadvantage in a very competitive environment. Especially at the upcoming Olympics!
So nobody at the Olympics is going to use Sony's new 24MP sports camera, the a9 III? I guess Sony should immediately discontinue that model. - LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Huge disappointment indeed. It would essentially be an R3 Mark ii. If Canon can't answer the Z9 and A1, let alone their forthcoming upgrades, I'm done, done, super done with Canon. From what I can tell, the R3 can't even compete with the Nikon Z8.
“May I have your attention please, user @gibbygoo is leaving Canon, departing soon from Terminal 6, Gate 29.”

Sorry, I thought this was an airport. Bye.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So nobody at the Olympics is going to use Sony's new 24MP sports camera, the a9 III? I guess Sony should immediately discontinue that model. - LOL

Seems you do not understand that Sony's 24MP are in no way to be compared to Canon's miserable 24MP. Sony's 24MP are premium acme 24MP.
And 250 base ISO are much better than 100 ISO, 2,5 X better!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Seems you do not understand that Sony's 24MP are in no way to be compared to Canon's miserable 24MP. Sony's 24MP are premium acme 24MP.
And 250 base ISO are much better than 100 ISO, 2,5 X better!

I don't get why some don't understand this. Sony negotiated these contracts with some major press agencies. They have been able to use any Sony camera, including the A1. Clearly Sony got feedback from these agencies and produced their latest and greatest, the A9III at 24 MP. Just in time for the Olympics even! The press wants the lower MP. They don't need or want more.

BTW DPR had an article on the World Sports Photography Awards and the winners for 2024. The vast majority of the winning photos were taken with cameras 24 MP or less. Someone did a breakdown and these are some of the results:
By Brand:
Canon 12
Nikon 6
Sony 4
Unknown 2

By Camera:
1DX III 3
1DX II 3
R3 3
A9 II 3
R5 2
Z9 2
R6 1
D5 1
Z7 1
Z7 II 1
Z fc 1
A7IV 1
Unknown 2

Upvote 0
Huge disappointment indeed. It would essentially be an R3 Mark ii. If Canon can't answer the Z9 and A1, let alone their forthcoming upgrades, I'm done, done, super done with Canon. From what I can tell, the R3 can't even compete with the Nikon Z8.
Over the last three and a half years a lot of pros have given up waiting and switched to Sony. We all know that the R3 was originally supposed to be called the R1 but Canon had to quickly switch its name in embarrassment to the R3 after the Sony A1 was released.

The rest have been waiting rather frustratedly for the R1 to finally be released by using an R3 that really struggled with constant freezing up and other issues. So after that long wait....to find out Canon can't beat their competitors, but they can't even match the A1, a camera that is pushing four years old now is going to drive even more pros to switch to Sony or Nikon. I know many who have already done so and many who are now going to switch over. And that is an absolute fact.

It is very sad and disappointing. Canon were great leaders and innovators. I was really hoping they could have used these nearly four years to produce a great camera to push Sony to bring out the A1ii. Sony will be in no rush at all now unfortunately.

This is not meant to come across as trolling. It is just speaking the truth, believe it or not. I know Canon has many other great lenses and other cameras. It's just their top of the line pro camera that has been a great disappointment recently.

• Haha
Upvote 0
We all know that the R3 was originally supposed to be called the R1 but Canon had to quickly switch its name in embarrassment to the R3 after the Sony A1 was released.

This is not meant to come across as trolling. It is just speaking the truth, believe it or not.
Sure, sure. It seems you and truth need to become better acquainted.

Upvote 0
Ok then, since you don't believe that is true tell me why has it taken them so long to finally bring out the R1 then?
You do realize that Canon only releases a 1-series camera every four years coinciding with the summer olympics? The 1Dx MkIII was released in 2020 so it only makes sense that the R1 is released in 2024. The R3 was a test bed for new technology (eye control AF, 1st stacked sensor with DPAF, etc.).

Upvote 0
Over the last three and a half years a lot of pros have given up waiting and switched to Sony. We all know that the R3 was originally supposed to be called the R1 but Canon had to quickly switch its name in embarrassment to the R3 after the Sony A1 was released.

The rest have been waiting rather frustratedly for the R1 to finally be released by using an R3 that really struggled with constant freezing up and other issues. So after that long wait....to find out Canon can't beat their competitors, but they can't even match the A1, a camera that is pushing four years old now is going to drive even more pros to switch to Sony or Nikon. I know many who have already done so and many who are now going to switch over. And that is an absolute fact.

It is very sad and disappointing. Canon were great leaders and innovators. I was really hoping they could have used these nearly four years to produce a great camera to push Sony to bring out the A1ii. Sony will be in no rush at all now unfortunately.

This is not meant to come across as trolling. It is just speaking the truth, believe it or not. I know Canon has many other great lenses and other cameras. It's just their top of the line pro camera that has been a great disappointment recently
Your truth! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Keep on posting, please.
This is so funny!
PS: 4 years are still 4 years, no matter how you count...;)

Funny, you want to talk about funny?

In 2020 Canon released their pro version camera, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III. Who can forget that future-proof camera?
Another inspired decision from those "who know better" and "what people actually want" to bring out a pretty much dead on arrival obsolete DLSR camera, meanwhile everyone else had completely moved onto mirrorless cameras by then! :LOL:

And this R1....the Canon sites now say:
"Aiming for 2024. The EOS R1 is aiming to be released in 2024, so watch this space!"
Wow, anytime today to release your camera that still can't match a camera Sony released almost 4 years ago now :LOL:

I have been told there are "issues" with the camera already after testing and the announcement may be delayed. Just like there were "issues" with the R3, did someone say Freezing Up' again?

Anyone here old enough to remember the EOS-1D Mark III and how Canon just denied there was any issue with that camera too?

• Haha
Upvote 0

In 2020 Canon released their pro version camera, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III. Who can forget that future-proof camera?
Another inspired decision from those "who know better" and "what people actually want" to bring out a pretty much dead on arrival obsolete DLSR camera, meanwhile everyone else had completely moved onto mirrorless cameras by then! :LOL:

"Aiming for 2024. The EOS R1 is aiming to be released in 2024, so watch this space!"
Wow, anytime today to release your camera that still can't match a camera Sony released almost 4 years ago now :LOL:

I have been told there are "issues" with the camera already after testing and the announcement may be delayed. Just like there were "issues" with the R3, did someone say Freezing Up' again?

Anyone here old enough to remember the EOS-1D Mark III and how Canon just denied there was any issue with that camera too?
So you're not going to admit you were wrong above (about the four year cycle)? Just sidestep the replies. You sure you're not trying to troll?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

You succeeded in becoming even funnier! :p

Upvote 0
The hole (s)he has dug is so deep by now, that (s)he cannot get out of it.
The R3 should have been the R1...
The R1 is far too late...
Because of "issues I've been told about"...
Every pro I know has jumped ship...
All my friends as well...
Competition is far ahead...
Soni cameras are revolutionary...
Every pro wants 60MP...
Nikon has much better tele options...
Mid-range Canon lenses are crappy...
And so on and so on...

How often must we read the same crap over and over again?
Canon should be bankrupt by now. ;)

Upvote 0
The hole (s)he has dug is so deep by now, that (s)he cannot get out of it.
You talking about the hole Canon has been in years now? Yes, I agree.

Canon can't even match a camera produced almost four years ago from newbie Sony. Even Nikon surpassed Canon years ago with the Z9. Talk about a hole.

I have used all these cameras and used them all before the Olympics so I know:

Canon EOS-1D X. Released March 2012. Olympic Games were 27 July 2012 – 12 Aug 2012

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II . Released April 2016. Olympic Games were 5 Aug 2016 – 21 Aug 2016

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III. Released January 2020. Olympics were scheduled to take place from 24 July to 9 August 2020

See the patterm? What is different about this year? All released way before the Olympic Games. Only 3 weeks before the Olympics start and not only has the camera not been even announced formally with any details, it has not even been released yet. Why not? Hmmmmm. (I could tell you ;))

I was originally told it was going to be released early this year well before the Olympics. It has only been the last month that it's finally been put in "colleagues" hands to be tested at events.

Anyway, you will all finally realise how far behind and lost Canon are whenever/ if the details of the R1 are finally announced...24MP for a flagship pro camera, still issues, no pre-capture etc, etc, etc. and the reviews come in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0